2015-05-17 16:18:10

by Stefan Brüns

Subject: Support of TX timestamps in kernel / by hardware

Hi,

I have looked through the individual hardware drivers, but there seems to be
no way of getting an accurate time when an individual packet preamble hits the
antenna.

For RX, most drivers support a RX timestamp based on the TSF and put this into
struct ieee80211_rx_status -> mactime. For TX, I found nothing related.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Br?ns / Bergstra?e 21 / 52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034 mobile: +49 151 50412019

2015-05-17 16:29:43

by Ben Greear

Subject: Re: Support of TX timestamps in kernel / by hardware

On 05/17/2015 09:08 AM, Stefan Bruens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have looked through the individual hardware drivers, but there seems to be
> no way of getting an accurate time when an individual packet preamble hits the
> antenna.
>
> For RX, most drivers support a RX timestamp based on the TSF and put this into
> struct ieee80211_rx_status -> mactime. For TX, I found nothing related.

I guess a timestamp made in the driver when tx-status is given by the
firmware/hardware might be at least a good estimate.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>