2016-02-17 11:09:09

by German

Subject: Wrong wireless nick card name loaded on reboot

Hi list,

A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card name.
It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong). Someone
suggested that this is because another kernel module is loaded by
mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified with AR9285,
it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When system identifies
my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at all ( lspci -k). The
wrong card name occurs only when system rebooted. If I gracefully shut
down the system, it always comes up with a right name for the card
( AR9285). So, how to force the system identify my card right no matter
if I reboot or shut down? Thank you.

2016-02-17 22:51:21

by Rafał Miłecki

Subject: Re: Wrong wireless nick card name loaded on reboot

On 17 February 2016 at 22:42, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> There is some kind of hardware problem causing two different IDs to be read.
> Assuming that everything else is working correctly, it is likely the wifi
> card at fault. If you can get to the card on your machine, I suggest
> reseating it in its socket just in case it is a contact problem. Otherwise,
> I have no suggestions.

You could also try moving this card to another device if you have
some. Or replacing your card with another one and see if it works
stable in this PC. Not sure if this will meet regulatory limitations,
but for testing PCI ID "stability" sounds like a safe idea.

2016-02-17 16:57:46

by German

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:44 -0600
Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 05:09 AM, German wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card
> > name. It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong).
> > Someone suggested that this is because another kernel module is
> > loaded by mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified
> > with AR9285, it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When
> > system identifies my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at
> > all ( lspci -k). The wrong card name occurs only when system
> > rebooted. If I gracefully shut down the system, it always comes up
> > with a right name for the card ( AR9285). So, how to force the
> > system identify my card right no matter if I reboot or shut down?
> > Thank you.
>
> I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier message.
> Why did you not reply to the earlier one so that everything would be
> in the same thread? That would have made searching the archives
> easier. As a result, I may be duplicating some previous information.
>
> The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID.
> If your system is showing the wrong device, then you may have
> hardware problems such that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To
> test this, please provide the output of the command
>
> lspci -nn | grep Network
>
> for the "good" and "bad" case.
>
> Larry

Larry, here is the "bad" case:

lspci -nn | grep Network
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:ff1c] (rev 01)

Thanks!

2016-02-17 16:03:50

by Larry Finger

On 02/17/2016 05:09 AM, German wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card name.
> It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong). Someone
> suggested that this is because another kernel module is loaded by
> mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified with AR9285,
> it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When system identifies
> my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at all ( lspci -k). The
> wrong card name occurs only when system rebooted. If I gracefully shut
> down the system, it always comes up with a right name for the card
> ( AR9285). So, how to force the system identify my card right no matter
> if I reboot or shut down? Thank you.

I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier message. Why did
you not reply to the earlier one so that everything would be in the same thread?
That would have made searching the archives easier. As a result, I may be
duplicating some previous information.

The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID. If your
system is showing the wrong device, then you may have hardware problems such
that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To test this, please provide the output
of the command

lspci -nn | grep Network

for the "good" and "bad" case.

Larry

2016-02-17 21:42:48

by Larry Finger

On 02/17/2016 10:57 AM, German wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:44 -0600
> Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On 02/17/2016 05:09 AM, German wrote:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card
>>> name. It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong).
>>> Someone suggested that this is because another kernel module is
>>> loaded by mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified
>>> with AR9285, it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When
>>> system identifies my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at
>>> all ( lspci -k). The wrong card name occurs only when system
>>> rebooted. If I gracefully shut down the system, it always comes up
>>> with a right name for the card ( AR9285). So, how to force the
>>> system identify my card right no matter if I reboot or shut down?
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier message.
>> Why did you not reply to the earlier one so that everything would be
>> in the same thread? That would have made searching the archives
>> easier. As a result, I may be duplicating some previous information.
>>
>> The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID.
>> If your system is showing the wrong device, then you may have
>> hardware problems such that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To
>> test this, please provide the output of the command
>>
>> lspci -nn | grep Network
>>
>> for the "good" and "bad" case.
>>
>> Larry
>>

> Larry, here is the "bad" case:
>
> lspci -nn | grep Network
> 01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:ff1c] (rev 01)

The kernel scans the various PCI buses to gather the ID information from the
various cards. Sometimes your device returns [168c:ff1c] and other times it
returns [168c:002b]. The lable, i.e. the stuff from "Qualcomm" to "Adapter" does
not come from the card. That info is in a file on your computer, and is based on
the PCI ID read from the card.

There is some kind of hardware problem causing two different IDs to be read.
Assuming that everything else is working correctly, it is likely the wifi card
at fault. If you can get to the card on your machine, I suggest reseating it in
its socket just in case it is a contact problem. Otherwise, I have no suggestions.

Larry

I'm not

2016-02-17 22:36:57

by German

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 15:42:45 -0600
Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 10:57 AM, German wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:44 -0600
> > Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier
> >> message. Why did you not reply to the earlier one so that
> >> everything would be in the same thread? That would have made
> >> searching the archives easier. As a result, I may be duplicating
> >> some previous information.
> >>
> >> The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID.
> >> If your system is showing the wrong device, then you may have
> >> hardware problems such that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To
> >> test this, please provide the output of the command
> >>
> >> lspci -nn | grep Network
> >>
> >> for the "good" and "bad" case.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >>

> > Larry, here is the "bad" case:
> >
> > lspci -nn | grep Network
> > 01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Qualcomm Atheros AR5008
> > Wireless Network Adapter [168c:ff1c] (rev 01)
> >

> The kernel scans the various PCI buses to gather the ID information
> from the various cards. Sometimes your device returns [168c:ff1c] and
> other times it returns [168c:002b]. The lable, i.e. the stuff from
> "Qualcomm" to "Adapter" does not come from the card. That info is in
> a file on your computer, and is based on the PCI ID read from the
> card.
>
> There is some kind of hardware problem causing two different IDs to
> be read. Assuming that everything else is working correctly, it is
> likely the wifi card at fault. If you can get to the card on your
> machine, I suggest reseating it in its socket just in case it is a
> contact problem. Otherwise, I have no suggestions.
>
> Larry
>

> I'm not

Thanks for the reply Larry, I'll try what you suggest.

2016-02-17 16:50:23

by German

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:03:44 -0600
Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 02/17/2016 05:09 AM, German wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > A couple of days ago I asked why my pc changes the wireless card
> > name. It switches between AR9285 ( right) and AR5008 ( wrong).
> > Someone suggested that this is because another kernel module is
> > loaded by mistake. Well, it is not the case. When system identified
> > with AR9285, it loads ath9k and I can connect to the router. When
> > system identifies my card as AR5008, no kernel module is present at
> > all ( lspci -k). The wrong card name occurs only when system
> > rebooted. If I gracefully shut down the system, it always comes up
> > with a right name for the card ( AR9285). So, how to force the
> > system identify my card right no matter if I reboot or shut down?
> > Thank you.
>
> I would like to help you, but I do not remember your earlier message.
> Why did you not reply to the earlier one so that everything would be
> in the same thread? That would have made searching the archives
> easier. As a result, I may be duplicating some previous information.

Sorry Larry, this was my repost of Debian user mailing list. My
apologies for the confusion.

> The selection of a driver for a given device comes from the PCI ID.
> If your system is showing the wrong device, then you may have
> hardware problems such that the PCI ID is reported incorrectly. To
> test this, please provide the output of the command
>
> lspci -nn | grep Network
>
> for the "good" and "bad" case.
>
> Larry

This is the "good" case:

lspci -nn | grep Network
01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless
Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

I will reboot now to "bad" case and post the output. Thank you Larry!