2022-09-27 22:54:33

by Andreas Kemnade

Subject: brcmfmac nvram files best practices

Hi,

I am working on mainlining stuff for several ebook readers (esp.
kobo/tolino ones). I often find a CyberTan WC121 (BCM43362) SDIO WiFi
chip there.
That one requires a nvram file. It can be found in the vendor system
(often an ancient 3.0.35 kernel with bcmdhd driver)

So now, it would be nice to have it installed via package management.
A source for that missing file is (besides of sdcard backups of the original
system):
https://download.pageplace.de/ereader/15.3.2/OS44/update.zip
(linked from here: https://mytolino.de/software-updates-tolino-ereader/)
path system/lib/firmware/wc121/nvram.txt needs to be present at
/lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43362-sdio.kobo,tolino-shine2hd.txt

The only problem is that I do not see a distribution license there. So
I am hesitating to just submit that one to the linux-firmware.git

Are there any best practices to deal with that situation? find any
source which also includes a license (and which hopefully allows
distribution)? or is there any way to reverse-engineer that stuff.

How were things done for the nvram.txt files already present in
linux-firmware.git?

Regards,
Andreas Kemnade