2003-06-25 04:07:54

by Shawn Starr

Subject: Speeding up Linux kernel compiles using -pipe?

Why aren't we using -pipe? It can significantly speed up compiles by not
writing temp files (intermediate files).

I don't see harm in adding this?

What do you all think?

Shawn.

2003-06-25 04:40:56

by Sam Ravnborg

Subject: Re: Speeding up Linux kernel compiles using -pipe?

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 12:22:13AM -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> Why aren't we using -pipe? It can significantly speed up compiles by not
> writing temp files (intermediate files).

Most architectures already uses -pipe - see arch/*/Makefile:

[sam@mars v2.5]$ ls arch/*/Makefile | xargs grep -l -- -pipe | wc -l
17
[sam@mars v2.5]$ ls arch/*/Makefile | wc -l
21

Sam

2003-06-25 05:18:46

by Anton Blanchard

> Why aren't we using -pipe? It can significantly speed up compiles by not
> writing temp files (intermediate files).

I thought we were. Do you have results to show it speeds up kernel
compiles? I found the opposite when using ext2:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.1/0040.html

Anton

2003-06-26 00:48:56

by Shawn Starr

Nevermind, We are using pipe, I just didn't see due to the new Makefile
output (V=1) shows me we are using pipe, at least for ia32.

Shawn S.

> Why aren't we using -pipe? It can significantly speed up compiles by
> not writing temp files (intermediate files).

I thought we were. Do you have results to show it speeds up kernel compiles?
I found the opposite when using ext2:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0212.1/0040.html

Anton

2003-06-26 08:15:49

by Mike Galbraith

At 09:01 PM 6/25/2003 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
>Nevermind, We are using pipe, I just didn't see due to the new Makefile
>output (V=1) shows me we are using pipe, at least for ia32.

Unless something has changed recently, -pipe is actually a slowdown.

-Mike