2002-02-20 17:06:16

by Riot777

Subject: Please help me with newer 2.4.xx

Dear Linux Kernel community pleez help me I have some serious problem with
2.4xx newer kernels and my softmodem Motorola sm56 driver compabilyty.
The problem is in the kernells from 2.4.8 to 2.4.14/16/17 becouse I've been
using this kernells and report that issue.
Modem run good on older kernells 2.4.1 to 2.4.5 last is standard for my
distribution Slackware 8.0.
But on newer kernels like 2.4.8 - newest 2.4.17 the driver doesn't work maby
this is becouse new memory architecture.
I don't really know what is the problem but problem lays in newer kernels .
Driver is a closed source drv in program which is making a module cold
sm56.o
after typed command.
Motorola says the driver is fully functional and they can't help me becouse
company discounted from softmodem buisness. And the driver only works on
kernels 2.4.xx .
But the drivers works fine on oldre kernells why on newer they doesn't ?
The kernel developers/hackers are the only pepole which could help me and
other users of this modem.
Please send me solution or patch for this issue on my email
[email protected]
Help me please maby somebody could tell this Marcelo Tossati , maby anybody
can
do some patch ???
Maby is somebody in community who could help me pleez I'm in despair.

With very best wishes Riot777

--
This mail was sent by Riot777
Linux Registered User #252508

2002-02-20 17:29:34

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: Please help me with newer 2.4.xx

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 06:04:51PM +0100, Riot777 wrote:
> Dear Linux Kernel community pleez help me I have some serious problem with
> 2.4xx newer kernels and my softmodem Motorola sm56 driver compabilyty.
> The problem is in the kernells from 2.4.8 to 2.4.14/16/17 becouse I've been

Ok, if you see problems starting with 2.4.8, can you narrow it down to which
2.4.8pre kernel starts the problem also?

> Driver is a closed source drv in program which is making a module cold
> sm56.o

The community isn't too keen on giving free support for non-free (ie, closed
source) drivers. Maybe after you have found the exact pre kernel that
starts exhibiting the problems, there might be someone willing to help.

Compile some -pre kernels, and let us know which one starts causing this
problem.

Mike

2002-02-20 17:38:04

by Alan

> Driver is a closed source drv in program which is making a module cold
> sm56.o after typed command.
> Motorola says the driver is fully functional and they can't help me becouse
> company discounted from softmodem buisness. And the driver only works on
> kernels 2.4.xx .

Now you know why you should never buy a product with a binary only driver.
The only thing you can do is probably to reverse engineer and reimplement
the entire product, or convince motorola that since they are out
of the market they might care to put out the docs about it now

Alan