2004-06-10 17:53:23

by Steve Lee

Subject: APIC error on CPU1: 00(02) && APIC error on CPU0: 00(02)

APIC error on CPU1: 00(02)
APIC error on CPU0: 00(02)

I've spent some time trying to research these error messages, but I'm
not exactly sure what I'm looking at. I've read that these may indicate
a faulty or soon to go faulty processor. However, when I do get these
errors, it always involves both processors. What are the odds both
would be dying at the same time?

Please CC, thanks!
Steve

2004-06-10 18:10:11

by Jan Dittmer

Subject: Re: APIC error on CPU1: 00(02) && APIC error on CPU0: 00(02)

Steve Lee wrote:
> APIC error on CPU1: 00(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 00(02)

Is this a Dual AMD Platform? If yes, are this real MPs or just modded
XPs? I've had this kind of error for years on a dual AMD with modded XPs
on a Tyan 2460 - until now, no processor broke down. The APIC is very
picky on this board, judging different posts from the internet.

Jan

Attachments:
signature.asc (256.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2004-06-10 18:58:49

by Steve Lee

They are genuine AMD Athlon 1900 MPs (never over-clocked) on a Giga-byte
7DPXDW-P. The only time these errors seem to occur is when the system
is under heavy disk activity. Could there be a bug with the APIC timer?
This motherboard has two ide-controllers on board. I've noticed in the
log:

Enabling APIC mode: Flat. Using 1 I/O APICs

Is this correct, or should it be 2 I/O APICs?

I'm really fishing for answers. I'd like to know if there really is
something wrong with my system (although it still seems rock stable) or
is this possible a kernel bug?

I'm currently using 2.6.7-rc3 compiled with gcc 3.4.0.

Thanks,
Steve

Is this a Dual AMD Platform? If yes, are this real MPs or just modded
XPs? I've had this kind of error for years on a dual AMD with modded XPs

on a Tyan 2460 - until now, no processor broke down. The APIC is very
picky on this board, judging different posts from the internet.

Jan

2004-06-10 19:06:20

by Mikael Pettersson

Steve Lee writes:
> APIC error on CPU1: 00(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 00(02)
>
> I've spent some time trying to research these error messages, but I'm
> not exactly sure what I'm looking at. I've read that these may indicate
> a faulty or soon to go faulty processor. However, when I do get these
> errors, it always involves both processors. What are the odds both
> would be dying at the same time?

02 == receive checksum error on the local APIC bus.
This tells us that you have an MP board with P6 or AMD
processors, and that the system has hardware problems.
Likely problems: bad board design (BP6 anyone?), inadequate
cooling, inadequate power supply, overclocked processors,
or using processors not validated for MP.