2003-08-14 23:55:12

by Joseph D. Wagner

Subject: RE: GNU server "compromised"? Gimme a break!

I just think this goes a long way to say that GNU/Linux security sucks, the theory of a thousand eyes isn't true because the eyes aren't looking, GNU/Linux security sucks, FSF is administrated by incompetent boobs (notice that even their pre-hacked backups could be compromised -- um, "offsite backups" anyone?), GNU/Linux security sucks, auditing is non-existent because they can't tell who did what (they'd first need ACL's for this), GNU/Linux security sucks, backdoors can be in open source code, ... and did I mention that GNU/Linux security sucks?

2003-08-15 00:09:18

by Bryan D. Stine

2003-08-15 00:29:31

by Akon

Subject: Double-Harvard Architectures

Hiall,

does someone have experience in porting some Kernel to Double-Harvard-Arch?
I don't think Lx was ever ported to such a kind of µP (please correct me!),
all I found on the web were several ports to embedded, but still vNeumann-,
or Single-Harvard µPs.

DH means, that the µprocessor (typically a DSP) has a seperated program
memory, a seperate (X)Data memory and a seperate (Y)Data mem, so it can
fetch two data adresses simultanely in one cycle via two physically
independent mem ports. For DSPs, that's a common behaviour!

So, obviously one (me) will have to integrate two flavours of malloc()
into the Kernel (vmallocX() and vmallocY()). Of course, i could leave this
issue to a specialized (uC)glibc, but i think, it should be the job of the
kernel to keep the oversight on memory issues...;)

Any ideas how to manage that trouble as "frictionless" as can?,
And¡

2003-08-15 01:23:46

by Bernd Eckenfels

Subject: Re: Double-Harvard Architectures

In article <[email protected]> you wrote:
> DH means, that the ?processor (typically a DSP) has a seperated program
> memory, a seperate (X)Data memory and a seperate (Y)Data mem, so it can
> fetch two data adresses simultanely in one cycle via two physically
> independent mem ports. For DSPs, that's a common behaviour!

Is this an embedded syste which has only the DSP, or is this a DSP add on
card for a PC? In the later case it migh be easier to write an device
driver.

Do you habe GCC support for your intended hardware?

Greetings
Bernd
--
eckes privat - http://www.eckes.org/