2002-02-08 16:23:14

by Andreas Happe

Subject: boot problems using 2.5.3-dj3 || -dj4

after creating a kernel with 2.5.3-dj3 my system hangs up while it is
starting some daemons at bootup. After removing the vast majority of daemons
from the system the system starts normal.

With dj4 the computer generates a kernel - oops instead of just freezing.

andreas

2002-02-08 16:40:48

by Andreas Happe

Subject: Re: boot problems using 2.5.3-dj3 || -dj4

From: "Andreas Happe" <[email protected]>

> With dj4 the computer generates a kernel - oops instead of just freezing.

sorry, with dj4 modprobe dies with the error message
"PAP-14030: direct2indirect: posted or inserted byte exists in the
treeinvalid operand: 0000"

andreas

2002-02-08 17:02:50

by Dave Jones

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:40:35PM +0100, Andreas Happe wrote:
> From: "Andreas Happe" <[email protected]>
>
> > With dj4 the computer generates a kernel - oops instead of just freezing.
>
> sorry, with dj4 modprobe dies with the error message
> "PAP-14030: direct2indirect: posted or inserted byte exists in the
> treeinvalid operand: 0000"

Ok, that's one for Oleg & Co to take a look at.
Can you run the oops dump through ksymoops ?

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2002-02-08 19:36:04

by Andreas Happe

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 05:40:35PM +0100, Andreas Happe wrote:
> > From: "Andreas Happe" <[email protected]>
[...]
> > sorry, with dj4 modprobe dies with the error message
> > "PAP-14030: direct2indirect: posted or inserted byte exists in the
> > treeinvalid operand: 0000"
>
> Ok, that's one for Oleg & Co to take a look at.
> Can you run the oops dump through ksymoops ?

the error occurs in ./fs/reiserfs/tail-conversion.c .
the kernel oops jumped to another position by now, but it is still the same
error message. I'm using a reiserfs root position.

> --
> | Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
> | SuSE Labs
> -

by Oleg Drokin

Hello!

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:34:41PM +0100, Andreas Happe wrote:
> > > sorry, with dj4 modprobe dies with the error message
> > > "PAP-14030: direct2indirect: posted or inserted byte exists in the
> > > treeinvalid operand: 0000"
> > Ok, that's one for Oleg & Co to take a look at.
> > Can you run the oops dump through ksymoops ?
> the error occurs in ./fs/reiserfs/tail-conversion.c .
> the kernel oops jumped to another position by now, but it is still the same
> error message. I'm using a reiserfs root position.
Can you please decode the oops you provided.
Also can you run reiserfsck on your partition and give us the log file?
Thank you. (you may need to boot off rescue CD or something to
be able to run reiserfsck on root partition).

Bye,
Oleg

2002-02-11 20:08:52

by Andreas Happe

[...]
> > the error occurs in ./fs/reiserfs/tail-conversion.c .
> > the kernel oops jumped to another position by now, but it is still the
same
> > error message. I'm using a reiserfs root position.
> Can you please decode the oops you provided.
> Also can you run reiserfsck on your partition and give us the log file?
> Thank you. (you may need to boot off rescue CD or something to
> be able to run reiserfsck on root partition).

i've done this yesterday and there were a couple of errors (i rebuilt the
tree and tried to rebuild the sb). Due to an error at rebuilding the super
block, I reinstalled my linux system ( i'm not sure if this is related to my
actual kernel, btw. there were some null - files on the fs )

I havn't experienced any errors since then ...

thx,
-Andreas