2002-04-09 02:10:48

by mark manning

Subject: syscals

ok - according to unistd.h we now have exactly 256 syscalls allocated (unless im missing something). my code needs to be able to account for every single possible syscall and so i need to be able to store the syscall number in a standard way. not all syscalls are catered for on the outset by at any time the user can say "i need to use syscall x which takes y parameters" and the code will be able to take care of it.

the problem is that i am currently reserving only 8 bits for the syscall number. this is ok for now but if we ever get another syscall its going to be unuseable by my existing code :) - should i be reserving 16 bits now in preperation for some new syscalls being added ?

2002-04-09 10:06:32

by Frank Schäfer

Subject: Re: syscals

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 04:10, mark manning wrote:
> ok - according to unistd.h we now have exactly 256 syscalls allocated (unless im missing something). my code needs to be able to account for every single possible syscall and so i need to be able to store the syscall number in a standard way. not all syscalls are catered for on the outset by at any time the user can say "i need to use syscall x which takes y parameters" and the code will be able to take care of it.
>
> the problem is that i am currently reserving only 8 bits for the syscall number. this is ok for now but if we ever get another syscall its going to be unuseable by my existing code :) - should i be reserving 16 bits now in preperation for some new syscalls being added ?
> -

Hmm...

dunno if you got this right. There are maximal 256 syscalls possible,
and, right -- exactly this amount of syscalls is in the entrytable. But
alotalotalot of them are defined as sys_ni_syscall (not yet
implemented).
I think there is still some space for enhancements. See
arch/i386/kernel/entry.S.

Regards
Frank

2002-04-09 10:19:52

by Oliver Pitzeier

Subject: Compaq Alpha DS10 - Kernel 2.4.18

Hi all!

I've got a really big problem with kernel 2.4.18 and 2.4.17 on
an Alpha.

I can compile, install and boot the kernel on my Alpha.
But if I shutdown the machine without shutting down the
system - I know this is crazy, but sometimes this happens...

So if I'm this mad and restart the machine afterwards, I get
a lot of fsck errors 'til the system give up and tell's me,
that I have to check it with fsck myself.

OK, I did so... fsck -y /dev/sda1 -> Works perfectly. After
fsck has corrected more than 1000 errors I'm able to
reboot the machine.

And than: MY SYSTEM IS NO LONGER BOOTABLE. It's totally
currupted...

I never saw the filesystem curruption bug on Intel, but it
sounds like this.

Is this the same bug that was on Intel?
Have I done something wrong?

Are there any alpha-users in this list? :o))))

Greetz, I look forward for answers,
Oliver

2002-04-09 11:26:12

by Damian Wrobel

Think about one of journaling filesystems: ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs...

Regards,
Damian Wrobel

2002-04-09 12:16:08

by dr john halewood

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 11:19 am, Oliver Pitzeier wrote:
> Hi all!
> [...]
> OK, I did so... fsck -y /dev/sda1 -> Works perfectly. After
> fsck has corrected more than 1000 errors I'm able to
> reboot the machine.
>
> And than: MY SYSTEM IS NO LONGER BOOTABLE. It's totally
> currupted...
> Are there any alpha-users in this list? :o))))
$uname -a
Linux frumious.unidec.co.uk 2.4.19pre1 #2 Wed Feb 27 14:45:16 GMT 2002 alpha
unknown

Yup. Not had any problems despite a series of recent powercuts (including
one where the mains voltage dropped from ~230V to ~150V), but did have very
long fsck()s afterwards. So I gave up and went to ext3 - all it takes is
kernel support and a quick tune2fs -j /dev/XXX ;-)

cheers
john

2002-04-09 15:12:42

by Randy.Dunlap

On 9 Apr 2002, Frank Schaefer wrote:

| On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 04:10, mark manning wrote:
| > ok - according to unistd.h we now have exactly 256 syscalls allocated (unless im missing something). my code needs to be able to account for every single possible syscall and so i need to be able to store the syscall number in a standard way. not all syscalls are catered for on the outset by at any time the user can say "i need to use syscall x which takes y parameters" and the code will be able to take care of it.
| >
| > the problem is that i am currently reserving only 8 bits for the syscall number. this is ok for now but if we ever get another syscall its going to be unuseable by my existing code :) - should i be reserving 16 bits now in preperation for some new syscalls being added ?
| > -
| >
| Hmm...
|
| dunno if you got this right. There are maximal 256 syscalls possible,
| and, right -- exactly this amount of syscalls is in the entrytable. But
| alotalotalot of them are defined as sys_ni_syscall (not yet
| implemented).
| I think there is still some space for enhancements. See
| arch/i386/kernel/entry.S.

Where is the limitation of 256 syscalls possible?

--
~Randy