2001-11-11 02:35:07

by lobo

Subject: Nazi kernels

Hi!

Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
executables under linux ?

Regards Przemek

2001-11-11 03:06:23

by Rik van Riel

Subject: Re: Nazi kernels

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,

Good timing, because after this message you're probably
in everybody's killfiles. ;)

> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?

The Linux kernel -does- allow you to load non-GPL modules,
as long as those modules are compatible with the kernel you
are running.

regards,

Rik
--
Shortwave goes a long way: irc.starchat.net #swl

by Mike Fedyk

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:34:42AM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?

You must be thinking of nvidia's kernel module...

With the new module licenes, they do not keep you from loading or even
making the modules. It just lets the community know that they don't need to
support bug reports from these kernels.

The *seperate* issue of gpl symbols will also not affect current symbols,
only new symbols that people add in the future.

Mike

PS, I don't think our community needs people who jump to colclusions like
this. Have you even read LKML?!

2001-11-11 04:04:38

by John Cavan

[email protected] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?

I'd suggest that you get a clue about what you're talking about before
spouting off nonsense. The license code in the kernel doesn't prohibit
anything, it simply provides a means of determining if the kernel is
running closed code and thus out of the scope of the kernel maintainers.

Frankly, any comparison of SOFTWARE to the horrific evil of the Nazi
party is an abomination. For that alone, you really don't earn the price
of admission to anything involving a brain. I can't begin to fathom the
thought processes of an individual who would belittle the suffering,
pain, and sacrifices of those who experience that time period with such
a comparison.

I'm sure you're proud.

John

2001-11-11 04:09:08

by Panagiotis Moustafellos

2001-11-11 05:37:27

by Jeff Merkey

Since Windows 2000 is being open sourced (according to the latest settlement
announcement) why don't you try theirs? Then your servers can get broken
into regularly by hackers, infected with W2K viruses, and you even get to
reboot them at least 3-4 times per week.

:-)

Jeff

> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?
>
> Regards Przemek
>
> -

by Michael H. Warfield

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 10:35:56PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Since Windows 2000 is being open sourced (according to the latest settlement
> announcement) why don't you try theirs? Then your servers can get broken
> into regularly by hackers, infected with W2K viruses, and you even get to
> reboot them at least 3-4 times per week.

Oh, but you missed the mark! Think Windows XP. Now there's
the ticket. If you aren't a Windows XP certified driver, they can
just wipe your driver right off the face of the system... All in the
name of "stability" (as they define it). None of this nonsense of
merely flagging if their OS has a non-sanctified driver like Linux.
Linux lets the driver load and run, it merely lets people KNOW that
it's an un-sanctified driver when shit catches fire and burns. You
know MS. MS thinks Linux is just a bunch of whimps. Screw just letting
the user know AFTER something burps and burns. That's TOO complicated
for a user to figure out and MS has to be "user friendly". MS is for
men with balls (and no brains)... Just burn the driver BEFORE it has
a chance to run. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Ooopppsss... Wait a minute. That's what the original poster
was falsely complaining about Linux. Guess he has a bigger case of
optical rectitus that was apparent in his original, obvious, troll.

> :-)

It would be even funnier if it wasn't so sad...

> Jeff

Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | [email protected]
/\/\|=mhw=|\/\/ | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!

2001-11-11 10:54:06

by Alex Buell

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?
________________________________
| |
| P L E A S E D O N O T |
| |
| F E E D T H E |
| |
| T R O L L S |
|________________________________|

I thank you.

--
Come the revolution, humourless gits'll be first up against the wall.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

2001-11-11 12:07:47

by Anton Altaparmakov

Subject: [Very-OT] Re: Nazi kernels

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> Oh, but you missed the mark! Think Windows XP. Now there's
> the ticket. If you aren't a Windows XP certified driver, they can
> just wipe your driver right off the face of the system... All in the
> name of "stability" (as they define it). None of this nonsense of
> merely flagging if their OS has a non-sanctified driver like Linux.
> Linux lets the driver load and run, it merely lets people KNOW that
> it's an un-sanctified driver when shit catches fire and burns. You
> know MS. MS thinks Linux is just a bunch of whimps. Screw just letting
> the user know AFTER something burps and burns. That's TOO complicated
> for a user to figure out and MS has to be "user friendly". MS is for
> men with balls (and no brains)... Just burn the driver BEFORE it has
> a chance to run. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Let's not get carried away. Windows XP does allow you to install anything
you like. You just have to click several times on the Yes button when it
asks things like "This driver is not XP certified. Do you really want to
use it?" and "Installing a non-certified driver can cause system
instability. Are you sure you want to do this?" (text is probably not
quite right but you get the idea).

I think we ought to do the same with closed source drivers. It's true
after all... The whole point of tainting the kernel is so we can just yell
at users to go and bug the vendor. So the modprobe executable could warn
the user "hey, you are loading a binary only module, it can break the
system, are you sure?". If the module is autoloaded we don't do jumping
through hoops asking questions so the systen runs smoothly.

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

2001-11-11 12:28:40

by samson swanson

Subject: Re: [Very-OT] Re: Nazi kernels

> Let's not get carried away. Windows XP does allow
> you to install anything
> you like. You just have to click several times on
> the Yes button when it
> asks things like "This driver is not XP certified.
> Do you really want to
> use it?" and "Installing a non-certified driver can
> cause system
> instability. Are you sure you want to do this?"
> (text is probably not
> quite right but you get the idea).
>
> I think we ought to do the same with closed source
> drivers. It's true
> after all... The whole point of tainting the kernel
> is so we can just yell
> at users to go and bug the vendor. So the modprobe
> executable could warn
> the user "hey, you are loading a binary only module,
> it can break the
> system, are you sure?". If the module is autoloaded
> we don't do jumping
> through hoops asking questions so the systen runs
> smoothly.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton
Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

2001-11-11 13:30:34

by Alan

> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?

Actually no. We are researching how to stop trolls posting to the kernel
list as our main AI project.

Alan

2001-11-11 16:51:20

by Tom Diehl

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> Actually no. We are researching how to stop trolls posting to the kernel
> list as our main AI project.

Good one!! :-)))))))))))))))))))))))))

--
......Tom Dysfunction The Only Consistent Feature of All
[email protected] of Your Dissatisfying Relationships is You.

2001-11-11 19:09:16

by Matt

Alan Cox mentioned the following:

| > Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
| > because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
| > graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
| > executables under linux ?
|
| Actually no. We are researching how to stop trolls posting to the kernel
| list as our main AI project.

I wrote a Bayesian classifier in Perl for newsgroup articles, (you trained
it on some known articles, then tried to classify some unknowns and saw
how well it guessed based purely on the words found in each post), I see
no reason why you can't refine it to guess which posts are trolls or
not. :-)

Matt
--
"Phase plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Only what you see on the shelves, buddy."

2001-11-11 22:21:43

by Daniel Egger

Subject: Idea (Was: Re: .... kernels)

On 11 Nov, Alan Cox wrote:

> Actually no. We are researching how to stop trolls posting to the
> kernel list as our main AI project.

Maybe a good start would be to filter the list from messages with
abusive words in the subject like nazi, porn, Micro[s$]oft, emacs,
<insert your favourite flamewar topics here>.

--
Servus,
Daniel

2001-11-11 23:51:12

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: [RFC-ONT (on topic)] Modprobe enhancement (was Re: "Dance of the Trolls")

Anton,

This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.

Jeff

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > Oh, but you missed the mark! Think Windows XP. Now there's
> > the ticket. If you aren't a Windows XP certified driver, they can
> > just wipe your driver right off the face of the system... All in the
> > name of "stability" (as they define it). None of this nonsense of
> > merely flagging if their OS has a non-sanctified driver like Linux.
> > Linux lets the driver load and run, it merely lets people KNOW that
> > it's an un-sanctified driver when shit catches fire and burns. You
> > know MS. MS thinks Linux is just a bunch of whimps. Screw just letting
> > the user know AFTER something burps and burns. That's TOO complicated
> > for a user to figure out and MS has to be "user friendly". MS is for
> > men with balls (and no brains)... Just burn the driver BEFORE it has
> > a chance to run. Yeah! That's the ticket!
>
> Let's not get carried away. Windows XP does allow you to install anything
> you like. You just have to click several times on the Yes button when it
> asks things like "This driver is not XP certified. Do you really want to
> use it?" and "Installing a non-certified driver can cause system
> instability. Are you sure you want to do this?" (text is probably not
> quite right but you get the idea).
>
> I think we ought to do the same with closed source drivers. It's true
> after all... The whole point of tainting the kernel is so we can just yell
> at users to go and bug the vendor. So the modprobe executable could warn
> the user "hey, you are loading a binary only module, it can break the
> system, are you sure?". If the module is autoloaded we don't do jumping
> through hoops asking questions so the systen runs smoothly.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Anton
> --
> Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at cam.ac.uk> (replace at with @)
> Linux NTFS maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
> ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

2001-11-12 00:07:35

by CaT

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:49:46PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Anton,
>
> This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
> modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.

Only if you can turn it off (ie a -[Yy] flag) as I don't really want my
boot sequence to hang just because I bought a geforce card so that I
could play my 3d games nice and fast.

And well, since you may need to turn it off so that your boot sequence
doesn't hang (and more often then not that's where you'll first install
the module) then it makes the option rather useless.

Then there's the autoload feature. Do I really want to have my
mount /cdrom command hang on me because somewhere something wants to ask
me a question? Will this all be interfaced with X so that a prompt comes
up?

Again, you'd wind up turning it off which makes it less useful still.

(Unless, ofcourse, I'm missing something)

--
CaT "As you can expect it's really affecting my sex life. I can't help
it. Each time my wife initiates sex, these ejaculating hippos keep

2001-11-12 00:24:47

by J Sloan

CaT wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:49:46PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > Anton,
> >
> > This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
> > modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.
>
> Only if you can turn it off (ie a -[Yy] flag) as I don't really want my
> boot sequence to hang just because I bought a geforce card so that I
> could play my 3d games nice and fast.

Nothing against nvidia cards, of course -

But I play 3d games nice and fast here
(quake 3 arena, wolfenstein)

BTW I'm using a voodoo 3 - well supported,
no 3rd party drivers to download, it always
just works, right from a fresh Linux install,
and with all new kernels...

Just a thought....

jjs

2001-11-12 00:34:58

by CaT

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:24:05PM -0800, J Sloan wrote:
> > Only if you can turn it off (ie a -[Yy] flag) as I don't really want my
> > boot sequence to hang just because I bought a geforce card so that I
> > could play my 3d games nice and fast.
>
> Nothing against nvidia cards, of course -
>
> But I play 3d games nice and fast here
> (quake 3 arena, wolfenstein)
>
> BTW I'm using a voodoo 3 - well supported,
> no 3rd party drivers to download, it always
> just works, right from a fresh Linux install,
> and with all new kernels...

It was just my RL example. Such an (unnecessary) addition to modutils
would basically screw me.

Don't get me wrong though. I see tainting of the kernel by the addition
of a bin-only driver as necessary. I don't see why Alan Cox or anyone
else should support nvidia's drivers. It's upto nvidia to do it. IF they
want help, they should open the source up.

--
CaT "As you can expect it's really affecting my sex life. I can't help
it. Each time my wife initiates sex, these ejaculating hippos keep
floating through my mind."
- Mohd. Binatang bin Goncang, Singapore Zoological Gardens

2001-11-12 02:20:09

by Keith Owens

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 16:49:46 -0700,
"Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anton,
>
>This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
>modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.

Modutils 2.4.9 onwards gives a warning when loading tainted modules,
including a reason why the tainting occurred. I will not accept
anything stronger than a warning, that is the Unix way(TM), give the
user enough rope to hang themselves.

2001-11-12 03:58:16

by Jeff Merkey

Sounds like it's already there.

Jeff
> "Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Anton,
> >
> >This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
> >modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.

by Bernd Petrovitsch

In message <[email protected]>, Ant
on Altaparmakov wrote:
>I think we ought to do the same with closed source drivers. It's true
>after all... The whole point of tainting the kernel is so we can just yell
>at users to go and bug the vendor. So the modprobe executable could warn
>the user "hey, you are loading a binary only module, it can break the
>system, are you sure?". If the module is autoloaded we don't do jumping
>through hoops asking questions so the systen runs smoothly.

Un*x admins know what they are doing by definition. So this is not
necessary.
Now you see what some Seattle area company think of admins of theirs
(so called) OS.

Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch Email : [email protected]
g.a.m.s gmbh Fax : +43 1 205255-900

2001-11-12 09:14:43

by Bernd Petrovitsch

In message <[email protected]>, [email protected]
wrote:
>Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
>because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
>graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
>executables under linux ?

Godwin's law, you loose.
EOT.

Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch Email : [email protected]
g.a.m.s gmbh Fax : +43 1 205255-900
Prinz-Eugen-Stra?e 8 A-1040 Vienna/Austria/Europe
LUGA : http://www.luga.at

2001-11-12 09:33:42

by Anton Altaparmakov

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Ant
> on Altaparmakov wrote:
> >I think we ought to do the same with closed source drivers. It's true
> >after all... The whole point of tainting the kernel is so we can just yell
> >at users to go and bug the vendor. So the modprobe executable could warn
> >the user "hey, you are loading a binary only module, it can break the
> >system, are you sure?". If the module is autoloaded we don't do jumping
> >through hoops asking questions so the systen runs smoothly.
>
> Un*x admins know what they are doing by definition. So this is not
> necessary.
> Now you see what some Seattle area company think of admins of theirs
> (so called) OS.

Admins know what they are doing. Your average person trying Linux for the
first time doesn't... You are forgetting that Linux is actually becoming
useful as a desktop OS and a wider audience is starting to use it.

But considering you already get a warning message on insertion that will
do fine, no need to ask are you sure. GUI configuration tools can always
do the "are you sure bit" if they want to.

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/

2001-11-12 09:39:32

on Altaparmakov wrote:
[ Un*x admins know what they are doing ]
>Admins know what they are doing. Your average person trying Linux for the
>first time doesn't... You are forgetting that Linux is actually becoming
>useful as a desktop OS and a wider audience is starting to use it.

If the average person installs Linux, s/he is the admin and above
definiton applies. Even if s/he does not know what s/he is doing, s/he must
(and will) learn it. Now we can discuss if its better to learn it the
hard (and fast) way or not.

>But considering you already get a warning message on insertion that will
>do fine, no need to ask are you sure. GUI configuration tools can always
>do the "are you sure bit" if they want to.

ACK. If some installer software wants to ask, he can now.

Bernd
--
Bernd Petrovitsch Email : [email protected]
g.a.m.s gmbh Fax : +43 1 205255-900
Prinz-Eugen-Stra?e 8 A-1040 Vienna/Austria/Europe
LUGA : http://www.luga.at

2001-11-12 10:28:02

by Andrea Gelmini

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 04:34:42AM +0100, [email protected] wrote:
> Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> executables under linux ?

you've got the sources. where's the problem?

ciao,
andrea

2001-11-12 10:32:32

by DevilKin

>In message <[email protected]>,
>[email protected]
> wrote:
> >Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> >because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> >graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> >executables under linux ?

So, you have a problem with those binary drivers. Here's something:

1. Don't compare the fact that people here cannot support closed source
drivers with what happened during the World War. Just don't. It's
farfetched and totally wrong.

2. Have you even _looked_ for a solution? I have installed the latest
kernel yesterday, and everything works fine. I compiled the nvidia modules
on top of that kernel (2.4.15-pre2), and it works fine. Look and search
before you start making false accusations!

DK

2001-11-12 13:24:16

by Marco Colombo

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> > because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> > graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> > executables under linux ?
>
> Actually no. We are researching how to stop trolls posting to the kernel
> list as our main AI project.

While you're at it, find a way to stop people feeding the trolls, too.
They are much a bigger nuisance than trolls themselves, 20:1 I'd say...

.TM.
--
____/ ____/ /
/ / / Marco Colombo

2001-11-12 14:01:47

by Stefan Smietanowski

Hi.

>>>This is a great suggestion. You should ping Keith Owens (does he own
>>>modutils, I think so) and make it happen. A much desireable change.
>>>
>>Only if you can turn it off (ie a -[Yy] flag) as I don't really want my
>>boot sequence to hang just because I bought a geforce card so that I
>>could play my 3d games nice and fast.
>>

> Nothing against nvidia cards, of course -
>
> But I play 3d games nice and fast here
> (quake 3 arena, wolfenstein)
>
> BTW I'm using a voodoo 3 - well supported,
> no 3rd party drivers to download, it always
> just works, right from a fresh Linux install,
> and with all new kernels...
>
> Just a thought....

Last I checked 32bit graphics and high resolutions wasn't an option on
the Voodoo 3... The GeForce line can do both and with nice enough speed.

// Stefan

2001-11-13 21:24:35

by Telford002

In a message dated 11/10/01 11:05:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thank You guys for Your work. I'm say goodbye to linux community,
> > because nazi kernel's don't allow me to load modules needed for my
> > graphic card. What will be next, maybe you disable to run non GPL
> > executables under linux ?
>

> I'd suggest that you get a clue about what you're talking about before
> spouting off nonsense. The license code in the kernel doesn't prohibit
> anything, it simply provides a means of determining if the kernel is
> running closed code and thus out of the scope of the kernel maintainers.
>
> Frankly, any comparison of SOFTWARE to the horrific evil of the Nazi
> party is an abomination. For that alone, you really don't earn the price
> of admission to anything involving a brain. I can't begin to fathom the
> thought processes of an individual who would belittle the suffering,
> pain, and sacrifices of those who experience that time period with such
> a comparison.
>
> I'm sure you're proud.

The idiom is not new. I remember that Modula II was called a Nazi
language in the early 80s. I preferred to call it a Bondage & Discipline
language myself.

Joachim Martillo

2001-11-17 01:11:07

by Jim Roland

By the way, I use the NVidia drivers for the kernel and X...as long as the
instructions are followed (to compile) or an RPM is used, it all works fine.
:)

Jim Roland, RHCE (RedHat Certified Engineer)
"The four surefire rules for success: Show up, Pay attention, Ask
questions, Don't quit."
--Rob Gilbert, PH.D.