2000-10-29 12:27:38

by Nick Piggin

Subject: [patch] BSD process accounting: new locking

I have attached a very small patch (test9) to remove the kernel lock from
kernel/acct.c. If I am missing something major (a brain?), I apologise in
advance. I have tested this on my UP x86 with spinlock debugging. I would
appreciate comments or an explanation of why this can't be done if you have
the time. Thanks.

Nick

Attachments:
bsdacct.patch (2.76 kB)

2000-10-29 14:18:27

by Nick Piggin

Subject: Re: [patch] BSD process accounting: new locking

> I have attached a very small patch (test9) to remove the kernel lock from
> kernel/acct.c. If I am missing something major (a brain?), I apologise in
> advance. I have tested this on my UP x86 with spinlock debugging. I would
> appreciate comments or an explanation of why this can't be done if you
have
> the time. Thanks.
>
> Nick

Maybe there was a possibility of a race when acct_auto_close calls sys_acct
in the last patch. If so, this should fix it.

Nick.

Attachments:
bsdacct2.patch (3.16 kB)