2003-01-18 03:01:16

by hanasaki

Subject: NForce Chipset support in which kernels?

Was considering the purchase of a Asus A7N266-VM AA with the following
chipsets. What kernel is needed to support all features? (onboard
video/audio/nic)?

Thanks.

North Bridge

Chipset Name:
nForce 220D Manufacturer: nVidia AGP FSB: 4X (Build-In) CPU Type: AMD
Athlon XP and Duron CPU FSB: 200/266 Memory Type: DDR Memory FSB: DDR
200/266 Max Memory: N/A

Sourth Bridge

Chipset Name:
nForce MCP-D

Manufacturer:
nVidia Number Of USB: 6 Version Of USB: 1.1 Support IDE Data: ATA
33/66/100 AMR/CNR/ACR* : CNR/ACR

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nforce_linux_v1.0-0233

2003-01-21 06:07:23

by Alan

Subject: Re: NForce Chipset support in which kernels?

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 21:11, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Was considering the purchase of a Asus A7N266-VM AA with the following
> chipsets. What kernel is needed to support all features? (onboard
> video/audio/nic)?

AGP isnt supported
IDE is vaguely supported as of 2.4.21pre
Audio is partially supported (no audio accelerator)
NIC is not supported (no docs)

Its very much a 'winputer'

2003-01-21 15:16:46

by Matthew D. Pitts

Unless you get the drivers from nVIDIA website.

> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 21:11, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> > Was considering the purchase of a Asus A7N266-VM AA with the following
> > chipsets. What kernel is needed to support all features? (onboard
> > video/audio/nic)?
>
> AGP isnt supported
> IDE is vaguely supported as of 2.4.21pre
> Audio is partially supported (no audio accelerator)
> NIC is not supported (no docs)
>
> Its very much a 'winputer'
>
> -

by Jeff Garzik

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:24:13AM -0500, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
> Unless you get the drivers from nVIDIA website.

Note that the nVidia NIC driver, at least, continues to have open
reports of crashing net drivers that get reported to me :/ Since
nVidia will not provide documentation, who knows if this will ever
get fixed.

I would recommend sticking a 3rd party NIC in the board, and avoiding
the nVidia on-board NIC like the plague.

It is also worth noting that many nForce boards come with 8139
on-board. I guess some board makers don't trust the nVidia NIC
hardware either...

Jeff

2003-01-21 16:39:29

by Matthew D. Pitts

Jeff,

> It is also worth noting that many nForce boards come with 8139
> on-board. I guess some board makers don't trust the nVidia NIC
> hardware either...

Some nForce 2 boards will ship with a 3Com nic chip that is inbeded in the
system.

2003-01-21 21:15:59

by Bryan Andersen

I'm using an ASUS A7N8X (nForce2 chipset) with linux-2.4.21-pre3-ac4 +
the patch for the __free_pages_ok oops, Subject: "[patch] 2.4.21-pre3-ac
oops". I also added the latest nForce drivers for both it's nic and
audio, but they load with symbol mismatches. I am using the nVidia NIC
with the nvnet driver. I haven't used sound yet as something isn't
configured correctly yet, haven't tracked it down yet as that is low
priority. The system just became stable with the oops patch. I have
the 3Com NIC recognised, but not used. Sofar the nVidia NIC is
transmitting and receiving fine. I transfered data to the system over
the network in 100MBit full duplex mode on a switched network and it
didn't hicup at all. The transfer saturated the network for a few hours
so it got a good workout. The new copy md5sumed identicle to the
original so there weren't hidden issues in the transfer. For the long
term, who knows how it will hold up. I don't have any IEEE 1394, or
serial IDE devices so they haven't been tested. I haven't used USB yet,
but it is recognised. As of right now I'm doing testing for stability
assesment and all looks good.

- Bryan

>>It is also worth noting that many nForce boards come with 8139
>>on-board. I guess some board makers don't trust the nVidia NIC
>>hardware either...

> Some nForce 2 boards will ship with a 3Com nic chip that is inbeded in the
> system.

2003-01-21 22:39:20

by Alan

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:24, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
> Unless you get the drivers from nVIDIA website.

Which are binary only. So its still best avoided

2003-01-22 01:25:45

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:47:32PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:24, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
> > Unless you get the drivers from nVIDIA website.
>
> Which are binary only. So its still best avoided

For someone with far too much time on their hands, the
20KB binary object (complete with symbols) shouldn't be
too much work to reverse engineer 8)

Although Jeff seems to be think that the chip is a clone
of another existing NIC, so it may not be worth the effort
if $driver can be made to work with it by adding some IDs..

Dave

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2003-01-22 21:03:51

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:31:30AM +0000, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 10:47:32PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 15:24, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:
> > > Unless you get the drivers from nVIDIA website.
> >
> > Which are binary only. So its still best avoided
>
> For someone with far too much time on their hands, the
> 20KB binary object (complete with symbols) shouldn't be
> too much work to reverse engineer 8)
>
> Although Jeff seems to be think that the chip is a clone
> of another existing NIC, so it may not be worth the effort
> if $driver can be made to work with it by adding some IDs..

Well, the IDE part in nForce certainly is a clone of another IDE, so
it's likely the NIC is as well. An idea comes to mind which one it could
be ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2003-01-22 21:17:23

by Anders Gustafsson

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 10:12:37PM +0100, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> Well, the IDE part in nForce certainly is a clone of another IDE, so
> it's likely the NIC is as well. An idea comes to mind which one it could
> be ...

For more nvidia nforce speculations have a look at:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=2947226

--
Anders Gustafsson - [email protected] - http://0x63.nu/