2002-01-04 08:35:07

by SATHISH.J

Subject: How to take a crash dump

Hi,

I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like
to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?

Thanks in advance,

Warm regards,
Sathish.J
Systems Engineer
Tata Infotech Limited
80 Feet Road
Indra Nagar
Bangalore-560 038.

2002-01-04 10:17:13

by Simon Turvey

Subject: Re: How to take a crash dump

> I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like
> to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
> and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
> as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?

Try dereferencing a null pointer. Works for me, intentionally or otherwise
:)

All the best,
Simon

<[email protected]>; "linux india programming"
<[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 9:00 AM

> Hi,
>
> I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like
> to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
> and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
> as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Warm regards,
> Sathish.J
> Systems Engineer
> Tata Infotech Limited
> 80 Feet Road
> Indra Nagar
> Bangalore-560 038.
>
> -

by Patrick O'Rourke

Simon Turvey wrote:

>>I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like

>>to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
>>and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
>>as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?

You can use Mission Critical Linux's crash dump analyser (aka crash) on
a live system and force it to panic via the "sys -panic" command.

The lkcd patch also adds an "alt-sysrq c" command that will force a dump.

Pat

--
Patrick O'Rourke

by Erik Mouw

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:30:20PM +0530, SATHISH.J wrote:
> I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like
> to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
> and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
> as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?

I wrote a toy module that does exactly what you want:

http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/lartware/port/lart.c

I still have to get the module into Linus' tree so Christoph Hellwig
will drive to .nl to buy me a beer :)

Erik

--
J.A.K. (Erik) Mouw, Information and Communication Theory Group, Faculty
of Information Technology and Systems, Delft University of Technology,

by Suparna Bhattacharya

Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:30:20PM +0530, SATHISH.J wrote:
> > I have "lcrash" installed on my system. I have 2.4.8 kernel. I would like
> > to know how to make a linux system panic so that I can take a crash dump
> > and analyse using "lcrash". Is there any command to make the system panis
> > as we have on other unices(SVR4 and unixware)?

Have you tried using the Alt+Sysrq+c key combination ?

We had checked in some changes to enable non-disruptive dumps to be
taken this way as
well (i.e. you can get a dump without having to reboot the system) but
that piece is going to be in lkcd 4.01.

BTW, you can also trigger a crash dump conditionally using dprobes.

Regards
Suparna