2004-01-13 07:55:51

by Greg Stark

Subject: Where are 2.6.x upgrade notes?

I'm trying to upgrade to 2.6.1 and running into a number of roadblocks. Before
I start asking stupid questions on mailing lists I'm wonder if there's a
document that lists the typical problems people will run into upgrading?

So far I've bumped into and knew or found how to solve:

. Need to install module-init-tools package

. Need to migrate modules.conf to modprobe.conf
In my case it doesn't load sound drivers without it

. Alsa starts muted (Everyone knows that right?)

I still have a few problems that I'm stumped on:

. I still get no sound even though every channel is unmuted and the volume
raised and there are no errors.

Incidentally, which version of Alsa is included in 2.6.1? Is it the 1.0.1
release? Or a pre 1.0 release? There are no version numbers anywhere that I
can find in the dmesg output or the source.

. Mouse wheel doesn't work in X

Surely these are common problems that everyone's faced and there's a simple
Upgrade FAQ somewhere like there was with 2.4?

--
greg

2004-01-13 10:58:16

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: Re: Where are 2.6.x upgrade notes?

> Upgrade FAQ somewhere like there was with 2.4?
Kind of, yes. A lengthy document, but still...
I think the 'Known Gotchas' section could be extended by
new problems that might appear. ALSA being muted issue
is not included there.
http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt

Regards,
Maciej

2004-01-13 20:01:52

by Dave Jones

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 11:58:14AM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> I think the 'Known Gotchas' section could be extended by
> new problems that might appear. ALSA being muted issue
> is not included there.

I take patches..

Dave

2004-01-14 07:51:09

by Ralf Hildebrandt

Subject: Re: No mouse wheel under 2.6.1 [Was: Re: Where are 2.6.x upgrade notes?]

* Greg Stark <[email protected]>:

> Well I think ALSA being muted will catch lots of people. As luck would have it
> it was the one thing I knew about in advance and it didn't help. As far as I
> can tell the Alsa i810 driver just doesn't produce audio at all. I tried both
> the kernel source and the 1.0.1 source. Thankfully the OSS drivers still work.

It sure works here.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a) [email protected]
Charite - Universit?tsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155

2004-01-14 07:45:28

by Greg Stark

"Maciej Soltysiak" <[email protected]> writes:

> > Upgrade FAQ somewhere like there was with 2.4?
>
> Kind of, yes. A lengthy document, but still...
> I think the 'Known Gotchas' section could be extended by
> new problems that might appear. ALSA being muted issue
> is not included there.

Well I think ALSA being muted will catch lots of people. As luck would have it
it was the one thing I knew about in advance and it didn't help. As far as I
can tell the Alsa i810 driver just doesn't produce audio at all. I tried both
the kernel source and the 1.0.1 source. Thankfully the OSS drivers still work.

But I'm still stuck with no mouse wheel. I'm really weirded out by this. I've
tried both /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mouse0 and neither allow X to receive
anything for the mouse wheel.

I'm using protocol MousemanPlusPS/2 with this logitech M-C48 mouse, which has
always worked fine in the past. I just verified it still works fine under
2.4.23pre4 with the same version of X.

Does it work for anyone else?

--
greg

2004-01-14 23:57:25

by Thomas Molina

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Greg Stark wrote:

> "Maciej Soltysiak" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > > Upgrade FAQ somewhere like there was with 2.4?
> >
> > Kind of, yes. A lengthy document, but still...
> > I think the 'Known Gotchas' section could be extended by
> > new problems that might appear. ALSA being muted issue
> > is not included there.
>
> Well I think ALSA being muted will catch lots of people. As luck would have it
> it was the one thing I knew about in advance and it didn't help. As far as I
> can tell the Alsa i810 driver just doesn't produce audio at all. I tried both
> the kernel source and the 1.0.1 source. Thankfully the OSS drivers still work.

I am using ALSA with 2.6. I needed to enable the OSS emulation API to get
sound working for me.

> But I'm still stuck with no mouse wheel. I'm really weirded out by this. I've
> tried both /dev/psaux and /dev/input/mouse0 and neither allow X to receive
> anything for the mouse wheel.
>
> I'm using protocol MousemanPlusPS/2 with this logitech M-C48 mouse, which has
> always worked fine in the past. I just verified it still works fine under
> 2.4.23pre4 with the same version of X.
>
> Does it work for anyone else?

I have a Logitech cordless optical mouse. I run it with IMPS/2 protocol
in both console and X mode. My XF86Config shows mouse input devices at
/dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice.

2004-01-17 16:11:08

by Joaquim Fellmann

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:45, Greg Stark wrote:

> I'm using protocol MousemanPlusPS/2 with this logitech M-C48 mouse, which has
> always worked fine in the past. I just verified it still works fine under
> 2.4.23pre4 with the same version of X.
>
> Does it work for anyone else?

I had the same problem. Switching protocol from MousemanPlusPS/2 to
ImPS2 in XF86Config-4 fixed it.

--
Joaquim

2004-01-17 20:37:28

by Greg Stark

Joaquim Fellmann <[email protected]> writes:

> I had the same problem. Switching protocol from MousemanPlusPS/2 to
> ImPS2 in XF86Config-4 fixed it.

One Mr Pavlik solved the same issue on bugzilla:

------- Additional Comment #1 From Vojtech Pavlik 2004-01-14 09:35 -------
Use protocol "ExplorerPS/2" in XFree86. This may not seem logical, but
because 2.6 handles the Logitech mouse protocol itself and presents a more
common Microsoft-like protocol to applications that don't know how to use
its native event protocol.

I wonder how the IM and Explorer protocols relate.

--
greg

2004-01-17 23:19:06

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 03:37:25PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> Joaquim Fellmann <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I had the same problem. Switching protocol from MousemanPlusPS/2 to
> > ImPS2 in XF86Config-4 fixed it.
>
> One Mr Pavlik solved the same issue on bugzilla:
>
> ------- Additional Comment #1 From Vojtech Pavlik 2004-01-14 09:35 -------
> Use protocol "ExplorerPS/2" in XFree86. This may not seem logical, but
> because 2.6 handles the Logitech mouse protocol itself and presents a more
> common Microsoft-like protocol to applications that don't know how to use
> its native event protocol.
>
> I wonder how the IM and Explorer protocols relate.

ExplorerPS/2 is a superset of ImPS/2. The kernel virtual mouse device
(/dev/input/mice) supports both protocols, and standard PS/2 as well.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR