2002-12-26 11:27:38

by Joseph

Subject: [USB 2.0 problem] ASUS CD-RW cannot be mounted.

Hi,
I've tested ASUS USB2.0 CD-RW 40x/12x/48x under 2.5.53.
The CD-RW device cannot be mounted. but it shows in
/proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0.
Run "cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/0", I got
***
Host scsi0: usb-storage
Vendor: ASUSTek ODD
Product: USB Storage Device
Serial Number: 7438401210600019
Protocol: Transparent SCSI
Transport: Bulk
GUID: 282150017438401210600019
Attached: Yes
***
Run "dmesg", I got
****
drivers/usb/core/hcd.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
ehci-hcd 00:10.3: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 1.00, driver 2002-Nov-29
hub 1-0:0: USB hub found
hub 1-0:0: 6 ports detected
hub 1-0:0: debounce: port 5: delay 100ms stable 4 status 0x501
hub 1-0:0: new USB device on port 5, assigned address 2
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1
input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse on isa0060/serio1
****
Any idea? Thank in advance.

Best Regards,
Joseph(@@)

< ?C?ѳ? Yahoo!?_?? > http://www.yahoo.com.tw

2002-12-26 17:42:47

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: [USB 2.0 problem] ASUS CD-RW cannot be mounted.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 07:35:43PM +0800, Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
> I've tested ASUS USB2.0 CD-RW 40x/12x/48x under 2.5.53.

Are you sure you have all of the scsi modules you need loaded? The
dmesg output looks fine, what happens when you try to mount the drive?

And does this drive work with older 2.5 kernels, or 2.4?

thanks,

greg k-h

2002-12-27 01:42:20

by Joseph

> Are you sure you have all of the scsi modules you need loaded? The
> dmesg output looks fine, what happens when you try to mount the drive?
> And does this drive work with older 2.5 kernels, or 2.4?

I think I've made all scsi modules I need built-in kernel.
(usbcore, ehci-hcd, usb-storage, sr_mod, sd_mod) Do I miss something?
Also, I've tested the ASUS CD-RW under kernel 2.5.45 and it worked.
But in the kernel 2.5.53, the system shows below when I try to mount the
CD-RW.
** #mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/usb-cd
** mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block device
There is one thing I forgot to say before.
I've checked the /proc/scsi/scsi file by running "cat" when I pluged the
device, and it shows below.
** Attached devices: none
Thanks in advance.
BR,
Joseph

< ?C?ѳ? Yahoo!?_?? > http://www.yahoo.com.tw

2002-12-27 02:48:11

by Eyal Lebedinsky

Joseph wrote:

> > Are you sure you have all of the scsi modules you need loaded? The
> > dmesg output looks fine, what happens when you try to mount the drive?
> > And does this drive work with older 2.5 kernels, or 2.4?
>
> I think I've made all scsi modules I need built-in kernel.
> (usbcore, ehci-hcd, usb-storage, sr_mod, sd_mod) Do I miss something?
> Also, I've tested the ASUS CD-RW under kernel 2.5.45 and it worked.
> But in the kernel 2.5.53, the system shows below when I try to mount the
> CD-RW.
> ** #mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/usb-cd
> ** mount: /dev/scd0 is not a valid block device

Check that you actually have /dev/scd0. I think it should be:
# mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([email protected]) <http://samba.org/eyal/>

2002-12-27 08:48:26

by Joseph

> Check that you actually have /dev/scd0. I think it should be:
> # mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0

I've checked the node as follows.
#ls -l /dec/scd0
brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Sep 9 13:24 /dev/scd0

Any idea? Thanks in advance.
BR,
Joseph

< ?C?ѳ? Yahoo!?_?? > http://www.yahoo.com.tw

2002-12-27 11:30:11

by Point Free

At Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:55:19 +0800
"Joseph" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Check that you actually have /dev/scd0. I think it should be:
> > # mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0
> >
> I've checked the node as follows.
> #ls -l /dec/scd0
> brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Sep 9 13:24 /dev/scd0

Ouh, could you post your /proc/devices ?

2002-12-30 03:55:17

by Joseph

> > > Check that you actually have /dev/scd0. I think it should be:
> > > # mknod /dev/scd0 b 11 0
> > >
> > I've checked the node as follows.
> > #ls -l /dec/scd0
> > brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Sep 9 13:24 /dev/scd0

> Ouh, could you post your /proc/devices ?

Yeah, that is shown below.
BTW, the ehci-hcd module seems instable. because the CD-RW can work
sometimes.
But it cannot work sometimes. So curiously. ?_?
**
Character devices:
1 mem
2 pty