2005-03-25 00:54:51

by Ravinandan Arakali

Subject: Problem applying latest 2.6 kernel prepatch(2.6.12-rc1)

Hi,
I am trying to submit patches to our driver in the kernel. Since I need a
copy of latest kernel
for this, I installed the latest stable version(2.6.5.11). When I apply the
latest prepatch (2.6.12-rc1)
on top of this, I have the following problems:
1. On application of the prepatch, it reports errors. It looks like some of
the changes that the
prepatch is trying to apply are already present in 2.6.5.11.
2. If I ignore these errors and complete the patching, the kernel
compilation fails.

Has anybody else seen this problem or am I missing something ?

Thanks,
Ravi

2005-03-25 01:12:32

by Adrian Bunk

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:45:58PM -0800, Ravinandan Arakali wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to submit patches to our driver in the kernel. Since I need a
> copy of latest kernel
> for this, I installed the latest stable version(2.6.5.11). When I apply the
> latest prepatch (2.6.12-rc1)
> on top of this, I have the following problems:
> Has anybody else seen this problem or am I missing something ?

The 2.6.12-rc1 patch is against 2.6.11, not against 2.6.11.5 .

> Thanks,
> Ravi

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2005-03-25 01:44:18

by Chris Wright

* Ravinandan Arakali ([email protected]) wrote:
> I am trying to submit patches to our driver in the kernel. Since I need a
> copy of latest kernel
> for this, I installed the latest stable version(2.6.5.11). When I apply the
> latest prepatch (2.6.12-rc1)
> on top of this, I have the following problems:
> 1. On application of the prepatch, it reports errors. It looks like some of
> the changes that the
> prepatch is trying to apply are already present in 2.6.5.11.
> 2. If I ignore these errors and complete the patching, the kernel
> compilation fails.
>
> Has anybody else seen this problem or am I missing something ?

2.6.12-rc1 is against 2.6.11, so revert 2.6.11.5 patch and patch
forward to 2.6.12-rc1

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net

2005-03-25 02:24:26

by Ravinandan Arakali

Thanks Adrian and Chris. That seems to work.

Ravi

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:45:58PM -0800, Ravinandan Arakali wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to submit patches to our driver in the kernel. Since I need a
> copy of latest kernel
> for this, I installed the latest stable version(2.6.5.11). When I apply
the
> latest prepatch (2.6.12-rc1)
> on top of this, I have the following problems:
> Has anybody else seen this problem or am I missing something ?

The 2.6.12-rc1 patch is against 2.6.11, not against 2.6.11.5 .

> Thanks,
> Ravi

cu
Adrian