2002-02-21 12:43:46

by Fernando Korndorfer

Subject: SMP problems

Hail!

I'm having some problems copiling the latest kernel with SMP (and
w/o too). If I boot a SMP-enabled kernel, the system hangs after detecting
the second CPU. and I can't compile the kernel w/o SMP support (it causes a
lot of 'redefinitions'...). Can anyone help me?

Tnx, []'s
Fernando Korndorfer
Novo Hamburgo, RS, Brasil

smime.p7s (5.57 kB)

2002-02-21 12:51:47

by Cesar Suga

Subject: Re: SMP problems

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Fernando Korndorfer wrote:

> I'm having some problems copiling the latest kernel with SMP (and
> w/o too). If I boot a SMP-enabled kernel, the system hangs after detecting
> the second CPU. and I can't compile the kernel w/o SMP support (it causes a
> lot of 'redefinitions'...). Can anyone help me?

Which board? Some people complained about the new AMD board (with
2 Athlons) which certainly is too new to be supported (well, Athlon SMP
support is new, at least for me).

Regards,
Cesar Suga <[email protected]>
S?o Caetano do Sul/SP/Brazil

2002-02-21 13:18:34

by Alan

> I'm having some problems copiling the latest kernel with SMP (and
> w/o too). If I boot a SMP-enabled kernel, the system hangs after detecting
> the second CPU. and I can't compile the kernel w/o SMP support (it causes a
> lot of 'redefinitions'...). Can anyone help me?

make distclean when switching between SMP and non SMP builds. If the box
is hanging on detecting both processors then

- If its a dual Athlon switch to MP 1.1 tables in the BIOS
- Otherwise try specifying "noapic"