2002-08-12 01:40:31

by Hell.Surfers

Subject: The spam problem.

I know this is offtopic, but the spam problem is getting worse, could the linux-kernel mail guy/gal, do something, the nigerian scams are actually dangerous..

2002-08-12 01:46:00

by David Miller

Subject: Re: The spam problem.

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 02:44:14 +0100

I know this is offtopic, but the spam problem is getting worse,
could the linux-kernel mail guy/gal, do something, the nigerian
scams are actually dangerous.

They never make it to the lists, if they are sending these
spams to you privately that is your problem to resolve :-)

Look we simply cannot control what web site archives of these
lists choose to do with the sender's email address. If you
post here, you will almost certainly get on a spam list.
There is zero we as postmasters can do about this.

2002-08-12 02:19:24

by David D. Hagood

David S. Miller wrote:

> They never make it to the lists, if they are sending these

Incorrect - they frequently make it to the list, I have the headers to
prove it.

Unfortunately, unless the LKML maintainers wish to either filter the
list against Spamcop|Spamhaus|MAPS, or unless they are willing to
require non-registered individuals to confirm an email (i.e.
non-registered individual sends a mail, LKML sends a "you aren't
registered, so please reply to this email to confirm you aren't a
spammer" message), there is little they can do about it.

2002-08-12 02:22:10

by David Miller

From: "David D. Hagood" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:22:45 -0500

David S. Miller wrote:

> They never make it to the lists, if they are sending these

Incorrect - they frequently make it to the list, I have the headers to
prove it.

And within 24 to 48 hours we add a filter for it.
That is how it has always worked and this is how it
will continue to work.

2002-08-12 02:45:00

by David D. Hagood

David S. Miller wrote:

> And within 24 to 48 hours we add a filter for it.
> That is how it has always worked and this is how it
> will continue to work.

Peace, sir - I was not criticising the way the list is run. However, you
stated "they never make it to the list" and implied the spam problem was
within the email account of the poster, which you just admitted was
incorrect.

I *wasn't* suggesting the list be filtered more aggressively - I was
saying that removing the spam from the list would require more
aggressive (read: more prone to false positives) filtering. The cure
would in many ways be worse than the disease (at least at it's current
level).

Unfortunately, until they make a legal hunting season for spammers, we
must all simply put up with it. I suggest forwarding all the spams over
to Spamcop to attempt to shut the spammers down (just make sure you ding
the spammer's servers and not LMKL's!)

2002-08-12 03:04:38

by David Miller

From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:04:10 +0100

They are dangerous, they have gotten people KILLED.

If people actually reply to and act upon those "here is how to make
168 million dollars please help me in Nigeria!" emails, frankly that's
Darwin at work.

If you want to talk about this further, please don't do it here.

2002-08-12 03:01:01

by Hell.Surfers

Subject: RE:Re: The spam problem.

YES THEY ARE SENT TO THE LIST, WOULD YOU LIKE COPIES? T hey are dangerous, they have gotten people KILLED.