2003-05-31 08:51:08

by Paul Rolland

Subject: warning: process 'update' used the obsolete bdflush...

Hello,

When switching from 2.4.20 to 2.5.x (x being recent), I have this
message...

What does this mean ?
1 - I have no process named update running,
2 - I can't find anything name update in /etc/rc.d/* recursively.

Regards,
Paul

2003-05-31 09:21:50

by Stewart Smith

On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 07:04 PM, Paul Rolland wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When switching from 2.4.20 to 2.5.x (x being recent), I have this
> message...
>
> What does this mean ?
> 1 - I have no process named update running,
> 2 - I can't find anything name update in /etc/rc.d/* recursively.

from fs/buffer.c:
/*
* There are no bdflush tunables left. But distributions are
* still running obsolete flush daemons, so we terminate them here.
*
* Use of bdflush() is deprecated and will be removed in a future
kernel.
* The `pdflush' kernel threads fully replace bdflush daemons and this
call.
*/

I'd upgrade whatever package update comes from. I can't seem to find
that binary around on some of my systems, what distribution and version
are you running? Maybe it's time to upgrade.

Someone else might know specifics :)
------------------------------
Stewart Smith
[email protected]
Ph: +61 4 3884 4332
ICQ: 6734154
http://www.flamingspork.com/ http://www.linux.org.au

2003-05-31 10:40:21

by Mikael Pettersson

On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:04:20 +0200, Paul Rolland wrote:
>When switching from 2.4.20 to 2.5.x (x being recent), I have this
>message...
>
>What does this mean ?
>1 - I have no process named update running,
>2 - I can't find anything name update in /etc/rc.d/* recursively.

If you have a line with 'update' or 'bdflush' in /etc/inittab,
remove it. (Its obsolete since mid-2.2 or so.)

2003-05-31 11:38:40

by Paul Rolland

Hello,

> On Sat, 31 May 2003 11:04:20 +0200, Paul Rolland wrote:
> >When switching from 2.4.20 to 2.5.x (x being recent), I have this
> >message...
> >
> >What does this mean ?
> >1 - I have no process named update running,
> >2 - I can't find anything name update in /etc/rc.d/* recursively.
>
> If you have a line with 'update' or 'bdflush' in
> /etc/inittab, remove it. (Its obsolete since mid-2.2 or so.)

Nice guess ! I have
ud:once:/sbin/update
within inittab.

The puzzling part is that, if it obsolete since mid-2.2, why is it
present on a RedHat 8.0 install ?

However, this question is not important ;-)

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna clean this !

Regards,
Paul

2003-06-01 19:18:22

by Felipe Alfaro Solana

On Sat, 2003-05-31 at 11:34, Stewart Smith wrote:
> On Saturday, May 31, 2003, at 07:04 PM, Paul Rolland wrote:
> > When switching from 2.4.20 to 2.5.x (x being recent), I have this
> > message...
> >
> > What does this mean ?
> > 1 - I have no process named update running,
> > 2 - I can't find anything name update in /etc/rc.d/* recursively.
>
> from fs/buffer.c:
> /*
> * There are no bdflush tunables left. But distributions are
> * still running obsolete flush daemons, so we terminate them here.
> *
> * Use of bdflush() is deprecated and will be removed in a future
> kernel.
> * The `pdflush' kernel threads fully replace bdflush daemons and this
> call.
> */
>
> I'd upgrade whatever package update comes from. I can't seem to find
> that binary around on some of my systems, what distribution and version
> are you running? Maybe it's time to upgrade.
>
> Someone else might know specifics :)

"update" is not a program, but a kernel daemon that was superseded by
pdflush in 2.5 kernels. I just can't remember right know what caused
that warning, but it's similar to the SO_BSDCOMPAT warning that is
triggered when running bind.

2003-06-01 19:56:49

by Michael Buesch