2002-02-20 01:50:29

by Dave Jones

Subject: Linux 2.5.4-dj3

Back in sync with Marcelo, fix up some merge errors, add some more
janitor bits, and attempt to dig my way through pending backlog
of patches.

By popular request, the curious can now find most of what
was merged in each release at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/patches/merged/

Patch against 2.5.4 vanilla is available from:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/patches/2.5/2.5.4/
Due to the large size of 2.5.5pre, incremental patch from -dj2 also
available in the incr subdir.

-- Davej.

2.5.4-dj3
o Merge up to 2.4.18rc2
o Change <linux/malloc.h> -> <linux/slab.h> (Me)
o Fix borken locking in nfs ->lookup. (Jarno Paananen)
o Fix ext2 freeing blocks not in datazone. (Randy Hron, Chris Wright)
o Fix ext2/ext3 revision level checks. (Andreas Dilger)
o Fix ramdisk compilation failure. (Me, Rudmer van Dijk)
o More include dependancy tweaks. (Me)
o BSS janitor work. (Craig Christophel)
o Replace all strtok users with strsep. (Matthew Hawkins, Jason Thomas)
o scsi_debug ->address & other fixes. (Douglas Gilbert)
o Silence isapnp debug messages. (Andrey Panin)
o Clear passcred in sock_alloc() (OGAWA Hirofumi)
| Fixes slow sunrpc/portmap, and various
| gnome-terminal weirdness.
o Console reentrancy work. (James Simmons)
o ALSA Config.in fixes. (Ren? Scharfe)
o Fix Oxford Semiconductor PCI id. (Ed Vance)
o Power Management for es18xx. (Zwane Mwaikambo)
o Remove duplicate PCI ids. (Wim Van Sebroeck)
o Change Olympic driver to use spinlocks. (Mike Phillips)
o Fix pcilynx locking. (Manfred Spraul)
o Fix cris eeprom driver locking. (Robert Love)
o PPP/BSD Compression vfree in interrupt fix. (Paul Mackerras,
Dominik Brodowski)
o cli->spinlocks for aha1542 driver. (Douglas Gilbert)
o ALSA ISAPNP fixes. (Andrey Panin)
o /proc/net/udp signedness fix. (Arnaud Giersch)
o fcntl_[gs]etlk* cleanup. (Chris Wright)

2.5.4-dj2
o Merge 2.5.5pre1
| Includes OSS changes from -dj1 moved to new
| sound/oss/ directory. These need checking to see
| if its worth to keep any of them.
o Backout __free_pages_ok check. (Hugh Dickins)
o Improve bad inode handling in open_namei(). (Daniel Mack)
o Intermezzo module macros cleanup. (Craig Christophel)
o fbdev accel wrapper. (James Simmons)
o Remove dead code from device.h (Pavel Machek)
o Kill BKL in NFS r/w & SunRPC. (Trond Myklebust)
o NFSv3 READDIRPLUS support. (Trond Myklebust)
o Various pcnet32 cleanups. (Go Taniguchi)
o ftape virt_to_bus fixes. (Mikael Pettersson)
o Numerous define syntax fixes. (Timothy Ball)
o Fix scheduler oops with rw waitqueue spinlocks. (Bob Miller)
o Various region/resource cleanups. (Marcus Alanen)
o mdacon janitor cleanups. (Boris Bezlaj)
o USB OHCI powerbook fix. (Paul Mackerras)
o Various config.help updates. (Steven Cole)
o Amiga drivers for new input-core layer. (James Simmons)
o Split up console.c & vt.c. (James Simmons)
o Remove unneeded reiserfs check. (Oleg Drokin)
o Make miro radio compile again. (Gerd Knorr)
o Vesafb bus_to_virt fix. (Steven Cole)
o Advansys virt_to_bus & scatterlist::address fixes. (Douglas Gilbert)
o Fix last_pid smp race. (J.A. Magallon)
o Various fs list_for_each cleanups. (Martin Hicks)
o Display source/dest IP in short UDP packet log. (David Ford)
| Modified by me to fit style of similar warnings.
o Fix up OSS ymfpci. (Pete Zaitcev, John Weber)
o Remove FPU usage from neofb. (Denis Oliver Kropp)

2.5.4-dj1
o Merge 2.5.4
o Fix inverted parameters in NCR5380 (Rasmus Andersen)
o NSC Geode Companion chip workaround. (Hiroshi MIURA)
| TODO: Nuke the CONFIG option, replace with
| PCI detection.
o Improve kiobuf_init performance. (Various Intel folks)
o uidhash cleanup. (William Lee Irwin III)
o Fix /proc 'read past end of buffer' bug. (Thomas Hood)
| See http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/lsescd
o PnPBIOS updates (ESCD support). (Thomas Hood)
o signal.c missing binfmt include compile fix. (Udo A. Steinberg)
o thread_saved_pc compile fix. (Andrew Morton)
o Various reiserfs updates. (Oleg Drokin, Namesys)
o Fix UP Preempt compilation. (Mikael Pettersson)
o Kill sleep_on in Olympic TR driver. (Mike Phillips)
o Drop 64bit DRM fixes.
o Fix zftape compile. (Me)
o Hack around synclink non-compile. (Me)

2.5.3-dj5
o Merge 2.5.4pre5
o Add some missing MODULE_LICENSE tags (Hubert Mantel)
o Fix ptrace PEEKUSR oops. (Manfred Spraul, others)
o Drop some bogus bits from USB & netdrivers. (Me)
o sbpcd bio fixes. (Paul Gortmaker)
o pci id trigraph warning fixes. (Steven J. Hill)
o Tridentfb resource management fixes. (Geert Uytterhoeven)
o 53c700 locking cleanup. (James Bottomley)
o Workaround ext2 trying to free block -1 (Andreas Dilger)
o Fix up deviceio Docbook generation. (Jason Ferguson)
o removal of isa_read/writes from ibmtr. (Mike Phillips)
o kthread abstraction. (Christoph Hellwig)

--
Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
SuSE Labs.

2002-02-20 05:55:05

by lee johnson

Subject: opengl-nvidia not compiling

hi..

hope i'm not repeating a message here if so sorry,- but by any chance
does anyone know that nvidia opengl isn't compiling with 2.5.5pre1..

thx :-)
lee
-==

2002-02-20 06:45:48

by NyQuist

Subject: Re: opengl-nvidia not compiling

On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 05:29, lee johnson wrote:
> hi..
>
> hope i'm not repeating a message here if so sorry,- but by any chance
> does anyone know that nvidia opengl isn't compiling with 2.5.5pre1..
>
> thx :-)
> lee
> -==

don't wanna sound nasty, but you are :)
I wouldn't use an nvidia card with 2.5, this is cut from a previous
message on the lkml.

<----->
> nv.c:1438: incompatible type for argument 4 of
`remap_page_range_Reb32c755'
> nv.c:1438: too few arguments to function `remap_page_range_Reb32c755'
> make[2]: *** [nv.o] Error 1

Assuming you get lucky, and manage to fix up all the compile
errors in the source you have, chances are that the same
interface changes will break the binary only part too.
So it'll compile, link, and likely explode as soon as you
try to use it.

It's likely that only nvidia can help you here.
Same goes for any other binary only module during a devel series.
<------>

> -

by A Guy Called Tyketto

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 06:35:42AM +0000, NyQuist wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-02-20 at 05:29, lee johnson wrote:
> > hi..
> >
> > hope i'm not repeating a message here if so sorry,- but by any chance
> > does anyone know that nvidia opengl isn't compiling with 2.5.5pre1..
> >
> > thx :-)
> > lee
> > -==
> >
> don't wanna sound nasty, but you are :)
> I wouldn't use an nvidia card with 2.5, this is cut from a previous
> message on the lkml.
>
> <----->
> > nv.c:1438: incompatible type for argument 4 of
> `remap_page_range_Reb32c755'
> > nv.c:1438: too few arguments to function `remap_page_range_Reb32c755'
> > make[2]: *** [nv.o] Error 1
>
> Assuming you get lucky, and manage to fix up all the compile
> errors in the source you have, chances are that the same
> interface changes will break the binary only part too.
> So it'll compile, link, and likely explode as soon as you
> try to use it.
>
> It's likely that only nvidia can help you here.

Just to add something related, but unrelated to the NVIDIA problem
above, this is the same exact error I received when I compiled any kernel >
2.5.2 with ALSA 0.5.* and ALSA 0.9.*. Hopefully with ALSA being in 2.5.5pre1,
this will be taken care of.

BL.
--
Brad Littlejohn | Email: [email protected]
Unix Systems Administrator, | [email protected]

by Giacomo A. Catenazzi

lee johnson wrote:

> hi..
>
> hope i'm not repeating a message here if so sorry,- but by any chance
> does anyone know that nvidia opengl isn't compiling with 2.5.5pre1..

Ask nvidia.
And you should also ask to GPLize the driver, until they don't open the
source you will see these problems in many new kernel release.

giacomo

2002-02-20 11:25:56

by Dan Maas

> > > nv.c:1438: incompatible type for argument 4 of
> > `remap_page_range_Reb32c755'
> > > nv.c:1438: too few arguments to function `remap_page_range_Reb32c755'

> Just to add something related, but unrelated to the
> NVIDIA problem above, this is the same exact error I received when
> I compiled any kernel > 2.5.2 with ALSA 0.5.* and ALSA 0.9.*.

What happened was remap_page_range sprouted a new first argument - the vma
you are mapping into. If you know even a tiny bit of C you can fix it
yourself; just look for the nearest variable of type 'struct
vm_area_struct*', and prepend it to the other args.

Not that everything is guaranteed to work even if it compiles... NVIDIA
cards do some very unusual fiddling with memory mappings and page tables, so
VM changes are just as likely to break their driver...

Regards,
Dan

2002-02-20 15:42:30

by lee johnson

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 21:29, lee johnson wrote:
> hi..
>
> hope i'm not repeating a message here if so sorry,- but by any chance
> does anyone know that nvidia opengl isn't compiling with 2.5.5pre1..

-sorry!- about the repeat..it turns out John posted like 10 hrs before I
did ..lol..I was sure I'd done a search in Evo before posting to avoid
that ( noted the sorry just in case though) but guess not..;(

anyway onwards and upwards..

lee
-===

2002-02-20 16:21:56

by Nikita Gergel

On 20 Feb 2002 07:24:26 -0800
lee johnson <[email protected]> wrote:

> > change all 'MINOR' to 'minor' and 'MAJOR' to 'major'
> >
> > --
> > Nikita Gergel System Administrator
> > Moscow, Russia YAUZA-Telecom
>
> before I go altering code that could adversely affect my card/system I'd
> like to know how you are assured this will work ( without causing damage
> etc.etc.)
>
> please accept my thx in case i'm just being paranoid and this is fine
> :))

1. It's obvious. Try to understand meanings of MINOR in 2.4 and minor in 2.5 =)
2. I've compiled my NVIDIA kernel modules bringed in these fixes. I've no troubles.

--
Nikita Gergel System Administrator
Moscow, Russia YAUZA-Telecom

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2002-02-20 18:13:09

by Nikita Gergel

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:36:36 -0800
J Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sire, may I make so bold as to press one
> point I wish to be clear on?
>
> Have you actually run the nvidia drivers
> in a 2.5 kernel?

yes, I'm using now 2.5.2-pre10 and have to game Quake I/II/III, Tux Racer, BZFlag and everything works well, except Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

> if so, I would be encouraged to try, as the
> nvidia drivers were one reason I've stayed
> with 2.4 on my gaming machine.

Of course, If you want only game you must use 2.4 now, but why are you subscribed lkml then? =)

> Joe
>
> Nikita Gergel wrote:
>

> >1. It's obvious. Try to understand meanings of MINOR in 2.4 and minor in 2.5 =)
> >2. I've compiled my NVIDIA kernel modules bringed in these fixes. I've no troubles.

--
Nikita Gergel System Administrator
Moscow, Russia YAUZA-Telecom

Attachments:
(No filename) (189.00 B)

2002-02-20 18:56:26

by jjs

Nikita Gergel wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:36:36 -0800
>J Sloan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Sire, may I make so bold as to press one
>>point I wish to be clear on?
>>
>>Have you actually run the nvidia drivers
>>in a 2.5 kernel?
>>

>yes, I'm using now 2.5.2-pre10 and have to game Quake I/II/III, Tux Racer, BZFlag and everything works well, except Return To Castle Wolfenstein.

hmm, castle wolfenstein is right up there
with q3a, that's too bad - but it may be
worth a try anyway...

>>if so, I would be encouraged to try, as the
>>nvidia drivers were one reason I've stayed
>>with 2.4 on my gaming machine.
>>

>Of course, If you want only game you must use 2.4 now, but why are you subscribed lkml then? =)

ROFL!

I assume the question is rhetorical.

There's lots of Linux stuff going on here besides games...

;-)

Joe