2001-04-17 18:12:45

by Eric S. Raymond

Subject: CML2 1.1.4 is available

The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/

Release 1.1.4: Tue Apr 17 14:02:17 EDT 2001
* Tom Rini's patches for the ARM port tree.
* Correct handling of booleans when trits are disabled.
* `nohelp' tie symbol introduced.
* Code audited with PyChecker.

The fact that most of the arguments about recent releases have to do with
color selection in the UI tells me that the UI is just about good enough.
The sluggishness complaints seem to have subsided as well.

So let's try to shift our attention to auditing and fixing the rules files,
shall we?

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my
contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the
spinal cord would fully suffice.
-- Albert Einstein

2001-04-17 18:28:07

by Tom Rini

Subject: Re: CML2 1.1.4 is available

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 02:13:35PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/
>
> Release 1.1.4: Tue Apr 17 14:02:17 EDT 2001
> * Tom Rini's patches for the ARM port tree.

Er, that should read PPC. :)

> * Correct handling of booleans when trits are disabled.
> * `nohelp' tie symbol introduced.
> * Code audited with PyChecker.
[snip]
> So let's try to shift our attention to auditing and fixing the rules files,
> shall we?

Well, I've got more to come anyways. :)

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/

2001-04-17 18:57:46

by Steven Cole

Subject: Re: [kbuild-devel] CML2 1.1.4 is available

On Tuesday 17 April 2001 12:13, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The latest version is always available at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/
>
> Release 1.1.4: Tue Apr 17 14:02:17 EDT 2001
> * Tom Rini's patches for the ARM port tree.
> * Correct handling of booleans when trits are disabled.
> * `nohelp' tie symbol introduced.
> * Code audited with PyChecker.
>
> The fact that most of the arguments about recent releases have to do with
> color selection in the UI tells me that the UI is just about good enough.
> The sluggishness complaints seem to have subsided as well.
>
> So let's try to shift our attention to auditing and fixing the rules files,
> shall we?

Using CML2 1.1.4 to make xconfig for 2.4.4-pre3:

I hope this falls into one of the above categories, but now with CONFIG_MODULES
set to y, I don't see any of the y m n choices colored in with the usual magenta.
This is true on all menus. The label text is green for those set to y, but this hasn't
been 100% reliable in the past.

On the other hand, with CONFIG_MODULES set to n, your fix seems to have worked.

So, one step forward, one step back.

Steven

2001-04-17 19:30:01

by Eric S. Raymond

Steven Cole <[email protected]>:
> I hope this falls into one of the above categories, but now with
> CONFIG_MODULES set to y, I don't see any of the y m n choices
> colored in with the usual magenta. This is true on all menus. The
> label text is green for those set to y, but this hasn't been 100%
> reliable in the past. On the other hand, with CONFIG_MODULES set to
> n, your fix seems to have worked.

Well, crap. This one got by me.

Fix already uploaded as 1.1.5.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may
be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons
than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may
sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those
who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they
do so with the approval of their consciences.
-- C. S. Lewis