2001-07-03 16:30:46

by Gavin Baker

Subject: 2.4.6-pre9: Failed HPT370 detection

This kernel refuses to detect my HPT370 chipset. (where my root filesystem
is, on raid0). It just hangs where the detection usually takes place, so no
oops and no meaningfull bugreport :/

I have the same options set in my config as I always have, I've never had any
problem with this before.

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=y

Anyone else seen this? Maybe its more VIA weirdness.

-- Regards, Gavin Baker

2001-07-03 16:52:59

by Gavin Baker

Subject: Re: 2.4.6-pre9: Failed HPT370 detection

On Tuesday 03 July 2001 17:22, Gav wrote:

> This kernel refuses to detect my HPT370 chipset. (where my root filesystem
> is, on raid0). It just hangs where the detection usually takes place, so no
> oops and no meaningfull bugreport :/
>
> I have the same options set in my config as I always have, I've never had
> any problem with this before.
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HPT366=y
> CONFIG_MD_RAID0=y
>
> Anyone else seen this? Maybe its more VIA weirdness.

Actually its the drives ON the HPT chipset that arent being detected, not the
chipset itself.

usually:
HPT370: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:13.0
HPT370: chipset revision 3
HPT370: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:pio
hda: SAMSUNG SV0322A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100b, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hde: IBM-DTLA-305040, ATA DISK drive
hdg: IBM-DTLA-305040, ATA DISK drive
<etc>

in 2.4.6-pre9:
HPT370: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:13.0
HPT370: chipset revision 3
HPT370: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide2: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe008-0xe00f, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:pio
hda: SAMSUNG SV0322A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9100b, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
<Hang>

Sorry about that.

-- Gavin Baker