2001-07-08 17:15:29

by Pavel Machek

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Secondary mips tree.

Hi!

> We have started a secondary tree for linux mips. This tree will
> be to SGI mips tree as Alan Cox's tree is to linus branch. We will test
> and play with "experimental patches" and then in time hand them off to the
> main branch Ralf Baechle maintains. Also one of the main reasons for this
> branch was to unite several of the mips trees into one place. Anyones
> patches (if good) are welcomed. The site is

Do you want to "eat" linux-vr tree? linux-vr list is dead and there's no
(or not much) development in its CVS (at 240t7 :-()

> http://www.sf.net/projects/linux-mips

Is this sourceforge?

> We also have a mailing list which instructions are on the SF page on how
> to join. Thank you.

Is it ok to be used as linux-vr list?

> P.S
> If anyone has the mips cobalt working with 2.4.X I really like those
> patches. Thank you.
Pavel

by James Simmons

> > We have started a secondary tree for linux mips. This tree will
> > be to SGI mips tree as Alan Cox's tree is to linus branch. We will test
> > and play with "experimental patches" and then in time hand them off to the
> > main branch Ralf Baechle maintains. Also one of the main reasons for this
> > branch was to unite several of the mips trees into one place. Anyones
> > patches (if good) are welcomed. The site is
>
> Do you want to "eat" linux-vr tree? linux-vr list is dead and there's no
> (or not much) development in its CVS (at 240t7 :-()

Yes. We are reworking the VR code and placing it into our tree.

> > http://www.sf.net/projects/linux-mips
>
> Is this sourceforge?

Yep.

> > We also have a mailing list which instructions are on the SF page on how
> > to join. Thank you.
>
> Is it ok to be used as linux-vr list?

I have no problem with it. VR is apart of the mips developement we are
doing. Also we do alot of IT 8172 and au1000 devleopement as well. Plus
some early work for the cobalt cube is being done. I will finish the cube
now that we have a pretty generic pci code layer that is shared amoung
many boards.

2001-07-12 21:04:24

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > We have started a secondary tree for linux mips. This tree will
> > > be to SGI mips tree as Alan Cox's tree is to linus branch. We will test
> > > and play with "experimental patches" and then in time hand them off to the
> > > main branch Ralf Baechle maintains. Also one of the main reasons for this
> > > branch was to unite several of the mips trees into one place. Anyones
> > > patches (if good) are welcomed. The site is
> >
> > Do you want to "eat" linux-vr tree? linux-vr list is dead and there's no
> > (or not much) development in its CVS (at 240t7 :-()
>
> Yes. We are reworking the VR code and placing it into our tree.

Good. I should definitely take a look. [Do you care about vr4130 or about
tx3912, too?]

> > > We also have a mailing list which instructions are on the SF page on how
> > > to join. Thank you.
> >
> > Is it ok to be used as linux-vr list?
>
> I have no problem with it. VR is apart of the mips developement we are
> doing. Also we do alot of IT 8172 and au1000 devleopement as well. Plus
> some early work for the cobalt cube is being done. I will finish the cube
> now that we have a pretty generic pci code layer that is shared amoung
> many boards.

Seems like there's one more mailinglist for me to read. Ook.
Pavel

by ognen

Subject: strange 2.4.x problems with dual machine

Hello,

machine is a dual Celeron (mendocino) with 256 M RAM, pretty standard. Ran
fine with 2.2.x, now when I switched to 2.4.2, 2.4.5 or 2.4.6 it freezes
on random (under X). Worked in text mode for a while and then printed out
a line "APIC error on CPU #0: 00(08)" and died...

Any ideas? I have booted the kernels both with and without "noapic" and
still the same...

Ognen

2001-07-13 15:02:14

by James Simmons

> Good. I should definitely take a look. [Do you care about vr4130 or about
> tx3912, too?]

Yes. If you want to work on it no problem.

2001-07-16 10:22:31

by Shane Nay

On Friday 13 July 2001 08:01, James Simmons wrote:
> > Good. I should definitely take a look. [Do you care about vr4130 or about
> > tx3912, too?]
>
> Yes. If you want to work on it no problem.

Huh, Very Cool. I was getting ready to queue up a huge IRDA forward port in
linux-vr to the 2.4.6 version. (Still el-crashola on me right now) The one
in the present repository likes to overwrite userspace applications pretty
much at randomn.

Maybe after things simmer down I'll port the Agenda hardware platform over to
your repository, and Agenda can switch to using that. linux-vr has been
really really stale since we froze at our present version for toolchain
reasons. Those toolchain problems were fixed ages ago, but Mike & Brad who
had been responsible for forward porting the kernel stopped doing that work
for the most part.

Thanks,
Shane Nay.

2001-07-16 19:28:20

by James Simmons

Subject: Re: [Linux-mips-kernel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Secondary mips tree.

> Maybe after things simmer down I'll port the Agenda hardware platform over to
> your repository, and Agenda can switch to using that.

That would be good. I look forward to the patches.

> linux-vr has been
> really really stale since we froze at our present version for toolchain
> reasons. Those toolchain problems were fixed ages ago, but Mike & Brad who
> had been responsible for forward porting the kernel stopped doing that work
> for the most part.

So we have noticed. Things are starting to get updated now.

P.S
We have been having problems with toolchains as well. We plan to have a
new toolchain ready by Wednesday.

2001-07-17 07:15:48

by Shane Nay

> That would be good. I look forward to the patches.

Most my MIPs time is in fixing small problems at the moment, but initiating a
forward port to an active repository is a Good Idea. Most of my time is
being funneled into ARM bootloader work here lately though :(.

> > linux-vr has been
> > really really stale since we froze at our present version for toolchain
> > reasons. Those toolchain problems were fixed ages ago, but Mike & Brad
> > who had been responsible for forward porting the kernel stopped doing
> > that work for the most part.
>
> So we have noticed. Things are starting to get updated now.
>
> P.S
> We have been having problems with toolchains as well. We plan to have a
> new toolchain ready by Wednesday.

Yes, there have been a lot of toolchain issues with MIPs. The last time I
went on a toolchain testing binge for MIPs was with GCC CVS in about April.
I had really good results with that toolchain with both the kernel and
userland. I did some micro tests with 3.0 and they appeared solid, but I had
updated to the latest non-CVS version of bintools and it was chocking out
lots of assembler warnings when rebuilding glibc. There are source and
binary snaps of that toolchain on the agenda FTP site under snow.

Thanks,
Shane Nay.

2001-07-17 15:35:28

by H. J. Lu

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:16:15AM -0700, Shane Nay wrote:
> > We have been having problems with toolchains as well. We plan to have a
> > new toolchain ready by Wednesday.
>
> Yes, there have been a lot of toolchain issues with MIPs. The last time I
> went on a toolchain testing binge for MIPs was with GCC CVS in about April.
> I had really good results with that toolchain with both the kernel and
> userland. I did some micro tests with 3.0 and they appeared solid, but I had
> updated to the latest non-CVS version of bintools and it was chocking out
> lots of assembler warnings when rebuilding glibc. There are source and
> binary snaps of that toolchain on the agenda FTP site under snow.

The toolchain in my RedHat 7.1 mips port is as good as the x86 version
for RedHat 7.1. Since there is no mips maintainer for gcc, many
mips patches aren't reviewed. But they are in my mips toolchain.

H.J.

2001-07-17 16:42:49

by James Simmons

Subject: Toolchains

> The toolchain in my RedHat 7.1 mips port is as good as the x86 version
> for RedHat 7.1. Since there is no mips maintainer for gcc, many
> mips patches aren't reviewed. But they are in my mips toolchain.

Where are they? On the oss.sgi.com site.

2001-07-17 17:21:17

by H. J. Lu

Subject: Re: Toolchains

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:41:14AM -0700, James Simmons wrote:

> > The toolchain in my RedHat 7.1 mips port is as good as the x86 version
> > for RedHat 7.1. Since there is no mips maintainer for gcc, many
> > mips patches aren't reviewed. But they are in my mips toolchain.
>
> Where are they? On the oss.sgi.com site.

My mini-port of RedHat 7.1 is at

ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/7.1/

you should be able to put a small RedHat 7.1 on the mips/mipsel box and
compile the rest of RedHat 7.1 yourselves.

Here are something you should know:

1. The cross compiler hosted on RedHat 7.1/ia32 is provided as a
toolchain rpm. The binary rpms for the mips and mipsel cross compilers
are included. You will need glibc 2.2.3-11 or above to use those
rpms. The glibc x86 binary rpms under RPMS/i386 should be ok.
2. You have to find a way to put those rpms on your machine. I use
network boot and NFS root to do it.
3. install.tar.bz2 has some scripts to prepare NFS root and install
RedHat 7.1 on a hard drive.

Thanks.

H.J.