2004-10-13 04:10:24

by Hanson, Jonathan M

Subject: Getting a process' EIP address (and other registers)

I have written a 2.4 kernel module that is triggered upon an
IOCTL from a user application. Once triggered the kernel module dumps
out the contents of the system memory and the x86 CPU architecture state
to separate files.
I'm writing to the list because my method for getting registers
from the user process before it entered the kernel is producing
incorrect results. I've looked all through the kernel code and searched
all over the web for an answer to this specific question and found
nothing relevant.
In my research how to do this I've found that the stack pointer
for the user process before it entered the kernel is stored in
current->thread.esp0. From there the registers for the user process are
stored at offsets from that location (for example, EIP is supposed to be
0x28 unsigned char bytes from esp0). I have code to get the EIP as
follows:

unsigned char *stack_address, *eip;

stack_address = (unsigned char *)(current->thread.esp0);
eip = stack_address + 0x28;
printk("eip = %08lx\n", *(unsigned long *)eip);

Like I mentioned this is producing incorrect results. How do I access
the user process' general purpose registers contents as they were before
the kernel was entered (or correct my code above if I'm accessing
something wrong)?
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2004-10-13 04:20:33

by Hua Zhong (hzhong)

The EIP is not on the user space stack. It's a system call, not a function
call, and the EIP is where the system call is made.

Upon entering kernel all registeres are saved on the kernel stack. You can
get it by the following:

struct pt_regs *regs = *(((struct pt_regs *)(THREAD_SIZE + (unsigned
long)current)) - 1);

> I have written a 2.4 kernel module that is triggered upon an
> IOCTL from a user application. Once triggered the kernel module dumps
> out the contents of the system memory and the x86 CPU
> architecture state
> to separate files.
> I'm writing to the list because my method for getting registers
> from the user process before it entered the kernel is producing
> incorrect results. I've looked all through the kernel code
> and searched
> all over the web for an answer to this specific question and found
> nothing relevant.
> In my research how to do this I've found that the stack pointer
> for the user process before it entered the kernel is stored in
> current->thread.esp0. From there the registers for the user
> process are
> stored at offsets from that location (for example, EIP is
> supposed to be
> 0x28 unsigned char bytes from esp0). I have code to get the EIP as
> follows:
>
> unsigned char *stack_address, *eip;
>
> stack_address = (unsigned char *)(current->thread.esp0);
> eip = stack_address + 0x28;
> printk("eip = %08lx\n", *(unsigned long *)eip);
>
> Like I mentioned this is producing incorrect results. How do I access
> the user process' general purpose registers contents as they
> were before
> the kernel was entered (or correct my code above if I'm accessing
> something wrong)?
> Thanks in advance for any help offered.
> -
> linux-kernel" in

by suthambhara nagaraj

Why don't you use the pt_regs structure to restore the EIP
value stored during SAVE_ALL. Add a line in sys_ioctl to access the SAVE_ALL
stored values (EIP).This would then be simple pointer arithmetic.

I hope I havae answered you.

Regards
Suthambhara

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:10:13 -0700, Hanson, Jonathan M
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I have written a 2.4 kernel module that is triggered upon an
> IOCTL from a user application. Once triggered the kernel module dumps
> out the contents of the system memory and the x86 CPU architecture state
> to separate files.
> I'm writing to the list because my method for getting registers
> from the user process before it entered the kernel is producing
> incorrect results. I've looked all through the kernel code and searched
> all over the web for an answer to this specific question and found
> nothing relevant.
> In my research how to do this I've found that the stack pointer
> for the user process before it entered the kernel is stored in
> current->thread.esp0. From there the registers for the user process are
> stored at offsets from that location (for example, EIP is supposed to be
> 0x28 unsigned char bytes from esp0). I have code to get the EIP as
> follows:
>
> unsigned char *stack_address, *eip;
>
> stack_address = (unsigned char *)(current->thread.esp0);
> eip = stack_address + 0x28;
> printk("eip = %08lx\n", *(unsigned long *)eip);
>
> Like I mentioned this is producing incorrect results. How do I access
> the user process' general purpose registers contents as they were before
> the kernel was entered (or correct my code above if I'm accessing
> something wrong)?
> Thanks in advance for any help offered.
> -

by Hanson, Jonathan M

The EIP is not on the user space stack. It's a system call, not a
function
call, and the EIP is where the system call is made.

Upon entering kernel all registeres are saved on the kernel stack. You
can
get it by the following:

struct pt_regs *regs = *(((struct pt_regs *)(THREAD_SIZE + (unsigned
long)current)) - 1);

> I have written a 2.4 kernel module that is triggered upon an
> IOCTL from a user application. Once triggered the kernel module dumps
> out the contents of the system memory and the x86 CPU
> architecture state
> to separate files.
> I'm writing to the list because my method for getting registers
> from the user process before it entered the kernel is producing
> incorrect results. I've looked all through the kernel code
> and searched
> all over the web for an answer to this specific question and found
> nothing relevant.
> In my research how to do this I've found that the stack pointer
> for the user process before it entered the kernel is stored in
> current->thread.esp0. From there the registers for the user
> process are
> stored at offsets from that location (for example, EIP is
> supposed to be
> 0x28 unsigned char bytes from esp0). I have code to get the EIP as
> follows:
>
> unsigned char *stack_address, *eip;
>
> stack_address = (unsigned char *)(current->thread.esp0);
> eip = stack_address + 0x28;
> printk("eip = %08lx\n", *(unsigned long *)eip);
>
> Like I mentioned this is producing incorrect results. How do I access
> the user process' general purpose registers contents as they
> were before
> the kernel was entered (or correct my code above if I'm accessing
> something wrong)?
> Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Thanks for the help. I think it's working now. I did have to
drop the pointer dereference at the front of the statement to get it to
compile, but my register values are now more consistent and believable.