2001-10-08 00:48:38

by Justin Piszcz

Subject: Question concerning SBLIVE! driver.

I've noticed in Kernel 2.4.10 that the emu10k1 driver produces cracks in
the sound output.

Is there a stable emu10k1?

The emu10k1 driver in all kernels < 2.4.7 is from 04-12-2000, which
produce excellent sound.

I've spoken with a few other guys on IRC, and they also have this
problem [of crackling, etc].

What would be the best course of action if one wants good sound in
kernels > 2.4.7?

2001-10-08 01:21:46

by Wilson

Subject: Re: Question concerning SBLIVE! driver.

Is your motherboard based on a Via chipset? If so, then this doesn't have
anything to do with Linux.. You'd have the same problems with Windows 2000..
I have a pair of SB Live! Platinums gathering dust in the room with me
because of the "Via/SBLive!" and "SMP/SBLive!" bugs.

> I've noticed in Kernel 2.4.10 that the emu10k1 driver produces cracks in
> the sound output.
>
> Is there a stable emu10k1?
>
> The emu10k1 driver in all kernels < 2.4.7 is from 04-12-2000, which
> produce excellent sound.
>
> I've spoken with a few other guys on IRC, and they also have this
> problem [of crackling, etc].
>
> What would be the best course of action if one wants good sound in
> kernels > 2.4.7?
>

> -

by Rui Sousa

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, war wrote:

Try to mute all analog sound sources (that you are not using) and reduce
IGAIN mixer settings.

Rui Sousa

> I've noticed in Kernel 2.4.10 that the emu10k1 driver produces cracks in
> the sound output.
>
> Is there a stable emu10k1?
>
> The emu10k1 driver in all kernels < 2.4.7 is from 04-12-2000, which
> produce excellent sound.
>
> I've spoken with a few other guys on IRC, and they also have this
> problem [of crackling, etc].
>
> What would be the best course of action if one wants good sound in
> kernels > 2.4.7?
>

> -

by Nick Lockyer

I too have seen this. I am not sure if there is a newer driver available
now. Also try oss from soundfont.

"war" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've noticed in Kernel 2.4.10 that the emu10k1 driver produces cracks in
> the sound output.
>
> Is there a stable emu10k1?
>
> The emu10k1 driver in all kernels < 2.4.7 is from 04-12-2000, which
> produce excellent sound.
>
> I've spoken with a few other guys on IRC, and they also have this
> problem [of crackling, etc].
>
> What would be the best course of action if one wants good sound in
> kernels > 2.4.7?
>

> -

by John Gluck

Nick Lockyer wrote:

> I too have seen this. I am not sure if there is a newer driver available
> now. Also try oss from soundfont.

Hi

I think you mean 4front for OSS

John