2007-09-05 16:48:25

by Sean Robert McGuffee

Subject: AUTO LOGIN BUG

Dear whoever is in charge of writing fedora core 7,

The auto login is a wonderful feature. However, there is a HUGE flaw in
it at the moment. It won't let me log in a root that way. That is MY
decision, not YOUR decision. Please fix it in an update!!! I'm sick of
having to log in as root every single time I use my computer. I
understand that there are situation where people have other people use
their computer and don't want them to be root. However, I never want to
be logged in as anything other than root, and I suspect everyone who has
half a brain is the exact same way. Honestly, have you ever been logged
in as someone other than root? You absolutely can do nothing on the
machine. For those who make the argument that someone logged in as root
might break the machine by doing something they shouldn't, I would say
it's already broken without being root. You cannot mount drives, edit
anything about how the /etc directory is setup, or do many other things
that everyone I know does on a regular basis. IN general, there are
times when you are logged in as a non-root user when it will ask you for
a password. That is so inconvenient when you are the only one who uses
your own computer. PLEASE get root auto login as an option. No one but
me has to set it up this way, but please give ME the option.

Thank You,

Sean McGuffee

2007-09-05 16:58:40

by Michal Piotrowski

Subject: Re: AUTO LOGIN BUG

On 05/09/07, Sean Robert McGuffee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear whoever is in charge of writing fedora core 7,

Please submit this report to bugzilla.redhat.com

Regards,
Michal

--
LOG
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/log/

2007-09-05 17:06:07

by DervishD

Dear whoever,

* Sean Robert McGuffee <[email protected]> dixit:
> Dear whoever is in charge of writing fedora core 7,

Have you tried FC forums? This list is about the linux kernel, not
about distros. The name, "Linux Kernel Mailing List" should have rang a
bell (or even two).

> The auto login is a wonderful feature. However, there is a HUGE flaw
> in it at the moment. It won't let me log in a root that way. That is
> MY decision, not YOUR decision. Please fix it in an update!!! I'm sick
> of having to log in as root every single time I use my computer.

I don't know why are you login as root frequently (so as to annoy
you having to type a password), but since you're not... wise enough to
know that this list is about the kernel and not a distro, I recommend
you AGAINST login as root.

Moreover, since you don't know how to disable root password, I don't
think is wise you log in as root AT ALL.

This said, if you want to avoid having a password for root (probably
a cracker someday will thank you for that), go and edit /etc/passwd (or,
if you prefer security through obscurity, which may well be the case)
/etc/shadow, and leave the password field for root empty. It's the
second field, after the first colon.

> I understand that there are situation where people have other people
> use their computer and don't want them to be root. However, I never
> want to be logged in as anything other than root, and I suspect
> everyone who has half a brain is the exact same way.

Oh, so you're just a troll. Well, in fact half a brain is needed to
log always as root, so I won't discuss that. And given that I took the
time to write the instructions so you can hang yourself, I'll send this
message even if it is obvious you're a troll.

Happy trolling, and if someone suggests you to get a life, don't
listen, trolling is much funnier! As you may already experienced,
getting a life can be very hard, but trolling is easy.

And to the list, sorry for feeding the troll, but it looked furry
and adorable O:)

Ra?l N??ez de Arenas Coronado

We are waiting for 13 Feb 2009 23:31:30 +0000 ...

2007-09-06 20:19:47

by jdow

TROLL or incredible ignoramus -> do not feed.

{^_^}

> Dear whoever is in charge of writing fedora core 7,
>
> The auto login is a wonderful feature. However, there is a HUGE flaw in it
> at the moment. It won't let me log in a root that way. That is MY
> decision, not YOUR decision. Please fix it in an update!!! I'm sick of
> having to log in as root every single time I use my computer. I understand
> that there are situation where people have other people use their computer
> and don't want them to be root. However, I never want to be logged in as
> anything other than root, and I suspect everyone who has half a brain is
> the exact same way. Honestly, have you ever been logged in as someone
> other than root? You absolutely can do nothing on the machine. For those
> who make the argument that someone logged in as root might break the
> machine by doing something they shouldn't, I would say it's already broken
> without being root. You cannot mount drives, edit anything about how the
> /etc directory is setup, or do many other things that everyone I know does
> on a regular basis. IN general, there are times when you are logged in as
> a non-root user when it will ask you for a password. That is so
> inconvenient when you are the only one who uses your own computer. PLEASE
> get root auto login as an option. No one but me has to set it up this way,
> but please give ME the option.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Sean McGuffee
> -

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:48:05 MDT, Sean Robert McGuffee said:

> machine. For those who make the argument that someone logged in as root
> might break the machine by doing something they shouldn't, I would say
> it's already broken without being root.

Hint 1: If you're not smart enough to figure out how to fix your system so that
it does what you want, you're not smart enough to run as root all the time.

Hint 2: You're posting to a kernel list about a non-kernel problem. See hint 1.

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2007-09-07 11:55:39

by Jan Engelhardt

On Sep 6 2007 23:53, [email protected] wrote:
>On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 04:48:05 MDT, Sean Robert McGuffee said:
>
>> machine. For those who make the argument that someone logged in as root
>> might break the machine by doing something they shouldn't, I would say
>> it's already broken without being root.
>
>Hint 1: If you're not smart enough to figure out how to fix your system so that
>it does what you want, you're not smart enough to run as root all the time.

yum install smart

scnr the pun. (labix.org/smart/)

Jan