2002-03-21 20:35:22

by Witold Krecicki

Subject: [2.5.7] initrd issue

I was trying to use 2.5.7 with initrd. I checked almost all configuration
options, but it's still loading RAM-Disk in one line (ext2 filesystem
detected etc.) and 'freeing Xkb initrd memory' in the next one. On 2.2 there
was sth. like 'VFS: Mounting initrd..sth...' but there's nothing like that.
What's wrong? I've got initrd, romfs and (optionally) compressed romfs
support compiled-in
--
Witek 'adasi' Kr?cicki|Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery
adasi[at]grubno.da.ru |None but ourselves can free our minds

2002-03-21 21:50:22

by Henrik Storner

Subject: Re: [2.5.7] initrd issue

[email protected] wrote:

>I was trying to use 2.5.7 with initrd. I checked almost all configuration
>options, but it's still loading RAM-Disk in one line (ext2 filesystem
>detected etc.) and 'freeing Xkb initrd memory' in the next one.

You are not alone. AFAICT, initrd is broken in 2.5.x - it fails
to mount to ramdisk unless you pass "root=/dev/ram0", and if you
do that, then it fails to switch to the real root-disk once
/linuxrc has executed from the ramdisk. At least, that was my
experience when trying it in 2.5.6 and 2.5.7.

The very same initrd-file worked fine with 2.4.18.
--
Henrik Storner <[email protected]>

2002-03-21 22:35:43

by Alexander Viro

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Henrik Storner wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >I was trying to use 2.5.7 with initrd. I checked almost all configuration
> >options, but it's still loading RAM-Disk in one line (ext2 filesystem
> >detected etc.) and 'freeing Xkb initrd memory' in the next one.
>
> You are not alone. AFAICT, initrd is broken in 2.5.x - it fails
> to mount to ramdisk unless you pass "root=/dev/ram0", and if you
> do that, then it fails to switch to the real root-disk once
> /linuxrc has executed from the ramdisk. At least, that was my
> experience when trying it in 2.5.6 and 2.5.7.
>
> The very same initrd-file worked fine with 2.4.18.

Mind sending your .config to me? Last time I've checked it the thing
had worked, but that was around 2.5.4 or so.