2002-06-05 15:04:03

by henrique

Subject: Conflicting symbols of zlib (jffs2 and ppp_deflate)

Hello !!!

I've found out something that probably is a bug. I've tried to compile a
kernel using the generic ppp (and the ppp_deflate module) and the jffs2 file
system.

No problems at the compilation but when the linker started off it complained
about conflicting symbols in net.o and fs.o objects.

Taking a more carefully look at the problem I discovered that the files
zlib.c and zlib.h are in two differents places in the kernel (fs/jffs2/ and
drivers/net/) and the diff of the files don't show any significant difference.

As a workaround for this problem I removed the zlib.o from fs/jffs2/Makefile
but it wouldn't work if I wasn't using the ppp stuff.

I'd like to know if anyone (ppp and jffs2 guys) have a solution for this
problem or at least a suggestion. Any comment will be very welcomed.

thanks
henrique

2002-06-05 20:00:33

by Adrian Bunk

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Henrique Gobbi wrote:

> Hello !!!

Hi Henrique,

> I've found out something that probably is a bug. I've tried to compile a
> kernel using the generic ppp (and the ppp_deflate module) and the jffs2 file
> system.
> I'd like to know if anyone (ppp and jffs2 guys) have a solution for this
> problem or at least a suggestion. Any comment will be very welcomed.

this is a well-known issue. David Woodhouse developed a patch that is in
the -ac kernels since 2.4.19pre2-ac4 to fix this issue.

> thanks
> henrique

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

2002-06-06 13:14:35

by David Woodhouse

[email protected] said:
> I'd like to know if anyone (ppp and jffs2 guys) have a solution for
> this problem or at least a suggestion. Any comment will be very
> welcomed.

ftp.??.kernel.org:/pub/linux/kernel/people/dwmw2/shared-zlib/linux-2.4.19-pre10-shared-zlib.{gz,bz2}

I'm intending to send this to Marcelo for 2.4.20-pre1, as soon as 2.4.19 is
released.

--
dwmw2