2022-11-10 23:05:36

by Dirk Gouders

Subject: Regression bisected: drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state

Hello,

I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):

I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
patch, one of the monitors remains dark.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
to investigate this problem.

Dirk

2022-11-11 21:08:39

by Lyude Paul

Thank for letting us know! Luckily I only have good news, as we've actually
been looking into this issue for a bit now and have made a pretty good amount
of progress. There's pretty much only one issue left for us to fix I'm fairly
sure:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171

If you'd like to help, there's some logs I could use someone getting to help
me figure out the last remaining issue here.

On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 23:32 +0100, Dirk Gouders wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
>
> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
>
> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
> to investigate this problem.
>
> Dirk

Lyude Paul (she/her)
Software Engineer at Red Hat

2022-11-11 22:19:57

by Dirk Gouders

Thank you for the pointer. I will see if I can produce some of the
wanted logs but at the earliest tomorrow, it's almost sleeping time,
here.

Dirk

Lyude Paul <[email protected]> writes:

> Thank for letting us know! Luckily I only have good news, as we've actually
> been looking into this issue for a bit now and have made a pretty good amount
> of progress. There's pretty much only one issue left for us to fix I'm fairly
> sure:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171
>
> If you'd like to help, there's some logs I could use someone getting to help
> me figure out the last remaining issue here.
>
> On Thu, 2022-11-10 at 23:32 +0100, Dirk Gouders wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
>> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
>>
>> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
>> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
>>
>> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
>> to investigate this problem.
>>
>> Dirk

Subject: Re: Regression bisected: drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state #forregzbot

[Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]

[TLDR: I'm adding this regression report to the list of tracked
regressions; all text from me you find below is based on a few templates
paragraphs you might have encountered already already in similar form.]

Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.

On 10.11.22 23:32, Dirk Gouders wrote:

> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
>
> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
>
> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
> to investigate this problem.

Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot introduced 4d07b0bc403403 ^
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171
#regzbot title drm: amdgpu: No payload for [MST PORT:0000000006da5d29]
found in mst state 00000000b0e556d6" on system resume with TBT dock
connected.
#regzbot ignore-activity

P.S.: As the Linux kernel's regression tracker I deal with a lot of
reports and sometimes miss something important when writing mails like
this. If that's the case here, don't hesitate to tell me in a public
reply, it's in everyone's interest to set the public record straight.

On 13.11.22 10:28, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 10.11.22 23:32, Dirk Gouders wrote:
>>
>> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
>> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
>>
>> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
>> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
>>
>> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
>> to investigate this problem.
>
> Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> tracking bot:
>
> #regzbot introduced 4d07b0bc403403 ^
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171
> #regzbot title drm: amdgpu: No payload for [MST PORT:0000000006da5d29]
> found in mst state 00000000b0e556d6" on system resume with TBT dock
> connected.
> #regzbot ignore-activity

#regzbot monitor
https://lore.kernel.org/amd-gfx/[email protected]/

[Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]

On 13.11.22 10:28, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 10.11.22 23:32, Dirk Gouders wrote:
>>
>> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
>> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
>>
>> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
>> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
>>
>> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
>> to investigate this problem.
>
> Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> tracking bot:
>
> #regzbot introduced 4d07b0bc403403 ^
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171
> #regzbot title drm: amdgpu: No payload for [MST PORT:0000000006da5d29]
> found in mst state 00000000b0e556d6" on system resume with TBT dock
> connected.
> #regzbot ignore-activity

#regzbot fixed-by: d60b82aa

2023-01-13 21:10:51

by Salvatore Bonaccorso

hi Thorsten,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 04:43:41PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> [Note: this mail is primarily send for documentation purposes and/or for
> regzbot, my Linux kernel regression tracking bot. That's why I removed
> most or all folks from the list of recipients, but left any that looked
> like a mailing lists. These mails usually contain '#forregzbot' in the
> subject, to make them easy to spot and filter out.]
>
> On 13.11.22 10:28, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > On 10.11.22 23:32, Dirk Gouders wrote:
> >>
> >> I noticed a regression with Linus' current tree and bisected it to
> >> 4d07b0bc403403 (drm/display/dp_mst: Move all payload info into the atomic state):
> >>
> >> I have two monitors connected to my laptop's USB-C port and since this
> >> patch, one of the monitors remains dark.
> >>
> >> Please let me know if I can provide additional information that could help
> >> to investigate this problem.
> >
> > Thanks for the report. To be sure below issue doesn't fall through the
> > cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, my Linux kernel regression
> > tracking bot:
> >
> > #regzbot introduced 4d07b0bc403403 ^
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171
> > #regzbot title drm: amdgpu: No payload for [MST PORT:0000000006da5d29]
> > found in mst state 00000000b0e556d6" on system resume with TBT dock
> > connected.
> > #regzbot ignore-activity
>
> #regzbot fixed-by: d60b82aa

I have a question on this regression tracking, as I noticed the
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171 issue which is
still open, does not appear on
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/mainline/ :

Is the fixed-by marking above correct? There is still ongoing
discussion and Mario Limoncello is proposing to revert commit
4d07b0bc403403438d9cf88450506240c5faf92f . Cf.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/2171#note_1722420 and
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/518080/ .

So is it needed to to unmark it as fixed or do I miss something here?

Regards,
Salvatore