2002-12-11 00:19:52

by Milan Roubal

Subject: Re: IDE feature request & problem

Hi Alan,
I have got xfs partition and man fsck.xfs say
that it will run automatically on reboot.
I don't know where to find any results of the
test, because in syslog is only
SGI XFS with ACLs, DMAPI, realtime, quota, no debug enabled
XFS mounting filesystem md(9,0)
Thanx for help
Milan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Cox" <[email protected]>
To: "Milan Roubal" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 6:10 PM

> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 15:07, Milan Roubal wrote:
> > DriveStatusError UncorrectableError SectorIdNotFound TrackZeroNotFound
> > AddrMarkNotFound }, LBAsect=8830595334015, high=526344, low=8355711,
> > sector=196817664
>
> Can you force an fsck of the volume firstly. AddrMark not found isnt too
> nreasonable a compliant given the LBAsect in question

2002-12-11 00:36:23

by Alan

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 00:24, Milan Roubal wrote:
> Hi Alan,
> I have got xfs partition and man fsck.xfs say
> that it will run automatically on reboot.

You need to force one. Something (I assume XFS) asked the disk for a
stupid sector number. Thats mostly likely due to some kind of internal
corruption on the XFS

2002-12-11 20:00:01

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:20:43AM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 00:24, Milan Roubal wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> > I have got xfs partition and man fsck.xfs say
> > that it will run automatically on reboot.
>
> You need to force one. Something (I assume XFS) asked the disk for a
> stupid sector number. Thats mostly likely due to some kind of internal
> corruption on the XFS

Or the power supply doesn't give enough power to the drives anymore (my
350W PSU is having heavy problems with five or more drives), and the IDE
transfers get garbled. Note that there is no CRC protection for non-data
xfers even when UDMA is in use, which includes LBA sector addressing.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs

2002-12-13 11:55:52

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > I have got xfs partition and man fsck.xfs say
> > > that it will run automatically on reboot.
> >
> > You need to force one. Something (I assume XFS) asked the disk for a
> > stupid sector number. Thats mostly likely due to some kind of internal
> > corruption on the XFS
>
> Or the power supply doesn't give enough power to the drives anymore (my
> 350W PSU is having heavy problems with five or more drives), and the IDE
> transfers get garbled. Note that there is no CRC protection for non-data
> xfers even when UDMA is in use, which includes LBA sector addressing.

But kernel would not log bogus LBA in such case.
Pavel
--
Worst form of spam? Adding advertisment signatures ala sourceforge.net.
What goes next? Inserting advertisment *into* email?

2002-12-13 14:37:31

by Vojtech Pavlik

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 07:12:50PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > You need to force one. Something (I assume XFS) asked the disk for a
> > > stupid sector number. Thats mostly likely due to some kind of internal
> > > corruption on the XFS
> >
> > Or the power supply doesn't give enough power to the drives anymore (my
> > 350W PSU is having heavy problems with five or more drives), and the IDE
> > transfers get garbled. Note that there is no CRC protection for non-data
> > xfers even when UDMA is in use, which includes LBA sector addressing.
>
> But kernel would not log bogus LBA in such case.

It could, if the drive has read a different sector than it was supposed
to and the filesystem got confused by the data ...

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs