2002-01-12 21:49:36

by Tony Glader

Subject: F00F-bug workaround working?

I have had problems with 2.4.17 running in a Classic Pentium (lot of
oopses). I'm sure that there's no problem with hardware. Is F00F'bug
workaround work still?

2002-01-12 22:04:18

by Joseph Pingenot

Subject: Re: F00F-bug workaround working?

>From Tony Glader on Saturday, 12 January, 2002:
>I have had problems with 2.4.17 running in a Classic Pentium (lot of
>oopses). I'm sure that there's no problem with hardware. Is F00F'bug
>workaround work still?

I'm running a P100 on 2.4.17 without any errors. I see
"Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled."
in the dmesg logs.

How about posting your oopses (after running them through ksymoops)

--
Joseph======================================================jap3003@ksu.edu
"If you really want to toggle [Internet Explorer] into secure mode, you

2002-01-12 22:12:18

by Jose Luis Domingo Lopez

On Saturday, 12 January 2002, at 23:49:06 +0200,
Tony Glader wrote:

> I have had problems with 2.4.17 running in a Classic Pentium (lot of
> oopses). I'm sure that there's no problem with hardware. Is F00F'bug
> workaround work still?

No problems here with any 2.4.x kernel, both with old and new
workarounds for the mentioned bug.

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : Pentium 75 - 200
stepping : 12
cpu MHz : 165.792
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : yes
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips : 330.95

Jan 12 12:30:21 dardhal kernel: Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug -
workaround enabled

--
Jos? Luis Domingo L?pez
Linux Registered User #189436 Debian Linux Woody (P166 64 MB RAM)

jdomingo AT internautas DOT org => Spam at your own risk

2002-01-13 09:51:19

by Zwane Mwaikambo

The F00F bug locks up your box, the oopses have nothing to do with it. If
the box is still alive after the oops try running ksymoops on them. If you
notice that its a different oops each time, its probably your hardware
going round the bend.

Cheers,
Zwane Mwaikambo

2002-01-13 20:20:36

by H. Peter Anvin

Followup to: <[email protected]>
By author: Joseph Pingenot <[email protected]>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> From Tony Glader on Saturday, 12 January, 2002:
> >I have had problems with 2.4.17 running in a Classic Pentium (lot of
> >oopses). I'm sure that there's no problem with hardware. Is F00F'bug
> >workaround work still?
>
> I'm running a P100 on 2.4.17 without any errors. I see
> "Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled."
> in the dmesg logs.
>
> How about posting your oopses (after running them through ksymoops)

F00F wouldn't oops the machine anyway, it would lock it up solid.

-hpa
--
<[email protected]> at work, <[email protected]> in private!
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <[email protected]>

2002-01-13 23:33:53

by James Stevenson

> I have had problems with 2.4.17 running in a Classic Pentium (lot of
> oopses). I'm sure that there's no problem with hardware. Is F00F'bug
> workaround work still?

Hi

it seems to work fine here 2.4.14-2.4.17 anyway.

Dmesg:

Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.

/proc/cpuinfo:

f00f_bug : yes

the foof bug would cause the system to hang. not to panic.

out of intrest does anyone know what the hlt bug on the cyrix does ?

thanks
James

2002-01-26 00:59:55

by Stephen Oberholtzer

At 11:11 PM 1/13/2002 +0000, James Stevenson wrote:

>the foof bug would cause the system to hang. not to panic.

If I'm not mistaken (and I probably am), the F00F bug causes the proc to
screw up the handling of an invalid instruction. I.E. no legitimate
program would possibly cause this, only hand-written bytecode (or,
theoretically, a stack overflow overwriting a return address to point to
data) can cause this.

So unless someone's trying to mess with you, I doubt F00F is affecting you.

http://x86.ddj.com/errata/dec97/f00fbug.htm

--
Stevie-O

Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE