2004-01-14 14:40:02

by Michael Lothian

Subject: Catch 22

Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT

Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
/etc/fstab needing to be changed

My gigabit lan isn't deteced at all under 2.4 is works but with errors
in 2.6 (I've tried building the 2.4 mdoule for it but it crashes the
whole system)

Agpgart in 2.4 isn't new enough to cope with the KT600 motherboard in
2.6 it is but the fglrx driver won't compile properly using it so either
way no kewl 3D graphics (oh and it only works in 2D mode if I'm using
Xfree86 4.3) if I use the older Alt driver I can get it to work with 4.4
but still without 3D

My webcam (cpia usb) is detected and works perfectly under 2.4 in 2.6 it
simply doesn't appear at all.

My DVB card works perfectly in 2.4 however under 2.6 /dev/dvb is totally
empty after modprobing the correct drivers (tda1004x frontend)

So I'm kinda caught in the middle here. I don't have a fully working
system no matter which kernel I use

Has anyone had any sililar experiences or found some solutions

Mike

2004-01-14 15:01:46

by John Lash

Subject: Re: Catch 22

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
> the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
> A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
>
> Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
> is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
> /etc/fstab needing to be changed

At least in this case, you should be able to use volume labels for the
filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You then
reference the volume label in your fstab.

With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command line.
Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not seamless
but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing files....

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rest.....

--john

2004-01-14 16:52:15

by Jesse Pollard

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:01, John Lash wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
>
> Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
> > the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
> > A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
> >
> > Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
> > is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
> > /etc/fstab needing to be changed
>
> At least in this case, you should be able to use volume labels for the
> filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You
> then reference the volume label in your fstab.
>
> With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command
> line. Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not
> seamless but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing
> files....
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rest.....

Also you can use a MBR lilo that only boots one or more partitions, then
have Lilo installed on each partition to select a specific kernel related
to that particular partition. This way you no longer have to update a
single point of failure - only update the lilo configuration on a specific
partition when changes are needed.

You avoid altering the MBR and the other partition.

2004-01-14 17:03:38

by Rudo Thomas

> Also you can use a MBR lilo that only boots one or more partitions, then
> have Lilo installed on each partition to select a specific kernel related
> to that particular partition. This way you no longer have to update a
> single point of failure - only update the lilo configuration on a specific
> partition when changes are needed.
>
> You avoid altering the MBR and the other partition.

I think the original poster meant one partition. In 2.4 it shows up as
/dev/hda, in 2.6 as /dev/hde.

Rudo.

2004-01-14 17:19:01

by Randy.Dunlap

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:01:37 -0600 John Lash <[email protected]> wrote:

| On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
| Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:
|
| > Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
| > the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
| > A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
| >
| > Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
| > is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
| > /etc/fstab needing to be changed
| >

| At least in this case, you should be able to use volume labels for the
| filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You then
| reference the volume label in your fstab.
|
| With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command line.
| Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not seamless
| but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing files....

Does anyone know the reason for this (ATA ident/naming change)?

I do *not* see this and I'm also using Mandrake (v9.0, not later).

--
~Randy
MOTD: Always include version info.

2004-01-14 18:16:39

by John Lash

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:14:56 -0800
"Randy.Dunlap" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Does anyone know the reason for this (ATA ident/naming change)?
>
> I do *not* see this and I'm also using Mandrake (v9.0, not later).

I didn't see anything like that for ide disks. What I did notice is that my eth
devices (on different busses) had new names sometime back in 2.5.x time. I wrote
that off to differences in walking/probing of the PCI tree giving different
enumeration of the devices. Possibly the same would hold true for the ide if
there are multiple ide interfaces on the system.

As I recall, there's also a kernel param for "Boot off-board chipsets first
support". Maybe that bit got flipped inadvertently???

--john

> --
> ~Randy
> MOTD: Always include version info.
> -

2004-01-14 18:43:54

by Paulo Marques

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:01:37 -0600 John Lash <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> | On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
> | Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:
> |
> | > Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
> | > the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
> | > A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
> | >
> | > Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
> | > is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
> | > /etc/fstab needing to be changed
> | >

> | At least in this case, you should be able to use volume labels for the
> | filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You then
> | reference the volume label in your fstab.
> |
> | With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command line.
> | Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not seamless
> | but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing files....
>
> Does anyone know the reason for this (ATA ident/naming change)?
>
> I do *not* see this and I'm also using Mandrake (v9.0, not later).

I guess the problem is that, by default, Mandrake creates an extended partition
when installed, where all the other partitions go.

Whenever I install Mandrake, I'm always careful to switch to "Expert" mode and
configure the partitions to be primary by hand to avoid this kind of problems.

If you are a corageous hacker, you can always:

- boot from a CD distribution (knoppix, etc.)
- run fdisk on your hard drive
- take note on the cylinders being used by the partitions,
- delete the partitions on the extended partition, and the extended partition
itself
- create the partitions again as primary using the *exact* same cylinders
- write the partition to disk
- reboot

Probably you'll have to adjust fstab to use the new partitions, but at least 2.4
and 2.6 should both agree that you have an hda :)

I don't know if you'll need to run lilo again before rebooting, but I would do
that just to be on the safe side. To do that:

- mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
- # cd /mnt/disk
- edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
- # chroot . lilo

I hope this helps,

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com

"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"

2004-01-14 20:03:26

by Lech Szychowski

> - mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
> - # cd /mnt/disk
> - edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
> - # chroot . lilo

AFAIR "lilo -r /mnt/disk" would be a better/easier way to
achieve the same result you're trying to get with the last line.

--
Leszek.

-- [email protected] 2:480/33.7 -- REAL programmers use INTEGERS --
-- speaking just for myself...

2004-01-15 00:43:50

by Michael Lothian

Paulo Marques wrote:

> I guess the problem is that, by default, Mandrake creates an extended
> partition when installed, where all the other partitions go.
>
> Whenever I install Mandrake, I'm always careful to switch to "Expert"
> mode and configure the partitions to be primary by hand to avoid this
> kind of problems.
>
> If you are a corageous hacker, you can always:
>
> - boot from a CD distribution (knoppix, etc.)
> - run fdisk on your hard drive
> - take note on the cylinders being used by the partitions,
> - delete the partitions on the extended partition, and the extended
> partition itself
> - create the partitions again as primary using the *exact* same
> cylinders
> - write the partition to disk
> - reboot
>
> Probably you'll have to adjust fstab to use the new partitions, but at
> least 2.4 and 2.6 should both agree that you have an hda :)
>
> I don't know if you'll need to run lilo again before rebooting, but I
> would do that just to be on the safe side. To do that:
>
> - mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
> - # cd /mnt/disk
> - edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
> - # chroot . lilo
>
> I hope this helps,

I assumed it was because 2.6 was labeling the SATA controllers before
the ATA ones but this is the least of my worries of 2.6. If everything
else worked with 2.6 I wouldn't need to switch between the two.

My biggest woe is that despite having a very cool graphics card I can't
play Warcraft III using WineX. (Which was the reason for my upgrade)

Mike