2001-10-28 11:55:47

by David Flynn

Subject: Via KT133 and 2.4.8 and a hard disk problem ?

All;

What is the status of the problems with the old KT133 and kernel 2.4.8 ?

I have a system here which looks to me as if its beginning to suffer from
HDD failure, just do anything with the disk for a while and you get disk {
busy } errors (and there is an 0x0d error code there somewhere) ... (oh, and
the HDD light reports no activity) normally, i would view this as a good
time to pull all the data off the drive and replace it.

However, i have noticed that the chipset used is the Via KT133, and am now
wondering if this is actually a HDD problem (i still am siding with this) or
a chipset problem.

You can guarantee the problem by just running badblocks -sv /dev/hda

and it will happen at some point, (not always the same place)

Can anyone offer any advice on this ?

Thanks,

Dave

2001-10-28 12:32:21

by Martin Eriksson

Subject: Re: Via KT133 and 2.4.8 and a hard disk problem ?

I often get these kinds of problems with semi-old HD's (UDMA33) when I run
*anything* else than DMA enabled (like when I run stuff like
hdparm -c1 -m16 -u1). It could also be a hard drive reporting the wrong
capabilities to the IDE controller.

A "hdparm /dev/hdX" and "hdparm -I /dev/hdX" would be most helpful to
diagnose your problem.

/Martin (fresh & new to l-k)

> What is the status of the problems with the old KT133 and kernel 2.4.8 ?
>
> I have a system here which looks to me as if its beginning to suffer from
> HDD failure, just do anything with the disk for a while and you get disk {
> busy } errors (and there is an 0x0d error code there somewhere) ... (oh,
and
> the HDD light reports no activity) normally, i would view this as a good
> time to pull all the data off the drive and replace it.
>
> However, i have noticed that the chipset used is the Via KT133, and am now
> wondering if this is actually a HDD problem (i still am siding with this)
or
> a chipset problem.

<snip>

2001-10-28 20:47:42

by David Grant

I've had these problems before. Can you provide a listings of the kernel
errors you are getting? I'm curious myself, and I'm sure this would help
any developers as well. Also, is it an old KT133 (with vt82c686a chip) or
KT133A (with vt82c686b chip).

> What is the status of the problems with the old KT133 and kernel 2.4.8 ?
>
> I have a system here which looks to me as if its beginning to suffer from
> HDD failure, just do anything with the disk for a while and you get disk {
> busy } errors (and there is an 0x0d error code there somewhere) ... (oh,
and
> the HDD light reports no activity) normally, i would view this as a good
> time to pull all the data off the drive and replace it.
>
> However, i have noticed that the chipset used is the Via KT133, and am now
> wondering if this is actually a HDD problem (i still am siding with this)
or
> a chipset problem.
>
> You can guarantee the problem by just running badblocks -sv /dev/hda
>
> and it will happen at some point, (not always the same place)
>
> Can anyone offer any advice on this ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave
>
> -