2001-10-02 17:40:37

by Lior Okman

Subject: Strange CD-writing problem

Hello,

I recently bought a new IDE cd-rw (a Plextor W1610A).
While trying to burn with it, I had some trouble fixating the disks.
The burn process would work fine, but when the fixating started, the
ide-scsi emulation started resetting the IDE bus, or just timing out.
This is true for every 2.4 kernel, from 2.4.0 to 2.4.10 including selected
ac versions.

The cd writer is connected to the computer as a primary device of the
third IDE bus (an onboard Promise chip), which kernels 2.2 don't support
out-of-the-box. I patched the 2.2.19 kernel to add support for Promise
cards, added reiserfs, and tried burning with this kernel, and it worked
flawlessly. The cdrecord versions I used were version 1.11a07, and also
version 1.10a18.

I'd appreciate help in making the cd-writer usable with a 2.4 kernel.

Thanks
Lior Okman

2001-10-02 19:41:13

by Mikael Pettersson

Subject: Re: Strange CD-writing problem

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:41:53 +0200 (IST), Lior Okman wrote:

>I recently bought a new IDE cd-rw (a Plextor W1610A).
>While trying to burn with it, I had some trouble fixating the disks.
>The burn process would work fine, but when the fixating started, the
>ide-scsi emulation started resetting the IDE bus, or just timing out.
>This is true for every 2.4 kernel, from 2.4.0 to 2.4.10 including selected
>ac versions.
>
>The cd writer is connected to the computer as a primary device of the
>third IDE bus (an onboard Promise chip) ...

I'd move that ATAPI cd-rw to the primary controller, and reserve
the Promise controller for UDMA(33) and above disks. Promise chips
seem to require explicit driver support for handling ATAPI devices,
and I'm not confident that Linux' driver has that. Quoting from the
box my Promise Ultra100 card came in:

"Supports ATAPI: Yes(*)
(*) Non-Windows environments require manufacturer device drivers."

which I think says it all.

/Mikael

2001-10-02 21:55:28

by Wilson

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:41:53 +0200 (IST), Lior Okman wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a new IDE cd-rw (a Plextor W1610A).
> >While trying to burn with it, I had some trouble fixating the disks.
>
> I'd move that ATAPI cd-rw to the primary controller, and reserve
> the Promise controller for UDMA(33) and above disks.

Just thought I'd add something here: Even Promise suggests that you not run
optical drives on their controllers. They aren't trustworthy when connected
to Ultra100 controllers even under Win98/Win2k. I don't have an exact quote
for you, but this has been discussed (with feedback from Promise) on
StorageReview.

Regards,
--Wilson.