2005-09-06 01:08:05

by Jack Byer

Subject: legacy megaraid driver bug in mm-series

My AMI megaraid card no longer works with recent mm-series kernels. The
bug appears on mm- kernels newer than 2.6.12-rc6-mm1; mainline kernels
are not affected.

The driver will load and detect both devices on the card (sda and sdb).
It will scan each device and read the partition table successfully,
however the megaraid driver message will include the following errors:

sda: sector size 0 reported, assuming 512.
sda: asking for cache data failed.
sda: assuming drive cache: write through

When the kernel tries to mount the root file system, I get the following
error:

ReiserFS: sda3: warning: sh-2006: read_super_block: bread failed (dev
sda3, block 2, size 4096)
ReiserFS: sda3: warning: sh-2006: read_super_block: bread failed (dev
sda3, block 16, size 4096)
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block(0,3)

Here is a summary of the kernels I have tested for this bug:

2.6.11-mm1: works
2.6.11-mm4: works
2.6.12-rc5-mm1: will not compile
2.6.12-rc6-mm1: works
2.6.12-mm1: will not compile megaraid driver
2.6.12-mm2: broken
2.6.13-mm1: broken

2.6.12: works
2.6.13: works

2005-09-08 19:00:49

by Seokmann Ju

Subject: RE: legacy megaraid driver bug in mm-series

Hi,

On Monday, September 05, 2005 9:06 PM, Jack Byer wrote:
> 2.6.12-mm1: will not compile megaraid driver
I've tried and it works fine.
I'm not sure where the problem is related to compilation.
Please provide more details.

Thank you,

Seokmann

by Seokmann Ju

Hi,

On Thursday, September 08, 2005 3:01 PM, Ju, Seokmann wrote:
> I've tried and it works fine.
> I'm not sure where the problem is related to compilation.
> Please provide more details.
My applogize to all for confusion.

There is an issue on compiling legacy megaraid driver on 2.6.12-mm1 kernel.
That is due to undefined symbol "adapter_t *" in the megaraid_reset().
I'm not sure how and where this change came from, though.

I'll create patch and submit soon.

Thank you.