2023-10-31 12:26:57

by Vidya Sagar

Subject: Question: Clearing error bits in the root port post enumeration

Hi folks,

I would like to know your comments on the following scenario where we are observing the root port logging errors because of the enumeration flow being followed.

DUT information:
- Has a root port and an endpoint connected to it
- Uses ECAM mechanism to access the configuration space
- Booted through ACPI flow
- Has a Firmware-First approach for handling the errors
- System is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as AdvisoryNon-Fatal errors

As we all know, when a configuration read request comes in for a device number that is not implemented, a UR would be returned as per the PCIe spec.

As part of the enumeration flow on DUT, when the kernel reads offset 0x0 of B:D:F=0:0:0, the root port responds with its valid Vendor-ID and Device-ID values.
But, when B:D:F=0:1:0 is probed, since there is no device present there, the root port responds with an Unsupported Request and simultaneously logs the same in the Device Status register (i.e. bit-3).
Because of it, there is a UR logged in the Device Status register of the RP by the time enumeration is complete.

In the case of AER capability natively owned by the kernel, the AER driver's init call would clear all such pending bits.

Since we are going with the Firmware-First approach, and the system is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as AdvisoryNon-Fatal errors, only a correctable error interrupt can be raised to the Firmware which takes care of clearing the corresponding status registers.
The firmware can't know about the UnsupReq bit being set as the interrupt it received is for a correctable error hence it clears only bits related to correctable error.

All these events leave a freshly booted system with the following bits set.

Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR- (MAbort)
DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend- (UnsupReq)
UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol- (UnsupReq)

Since the reason for UR is well understood at this point, I would like to weigh in on the idea of clearing the aforementioned bits in the root port once the enumeration is done particularly to cater to the configurations where Firmware-First approach is in place.
Please let me know your comments on this approach.

Thanks,
Vidya Sagar

2023-11-03 18:21:35

by Bjorn Helgaas

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 12:26:31PM +0000, Vidya Sagar wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to know your comments on the following scenario where
> we are observing the root port logging errors because of the
> enumeration flow being followed.
>
> DUT information:
> - Has a root port and an endpoint connected to it
> - Uses ECAM mechanism to access the configuration space
> - Booted through ACPI flow
> - Has a Firmware-First approach for handling the errors
> - System is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as
> AdvisoryNon-Fatal errors
>
> As we all know, when a configuration read request comes in for a
> device number that is not implemented, a UR would be returned as per
> the PCIe spec.
>
> As part of the enumeration flow on DUT, when the kernel reads offset
> 0x0 of B:D:F=0:0:0, the root port responds with its valid Vendor-ID
> and Device-ID values. But, when B:D:F=0:1:0 is probed, since there
> is no device present there, the root port responds with an
> Unsupported Request and simultaneously logs the same in the Device
> Status register (i.e. bit-3). Because of it, there is a UR logged
> in the Device Status register of the RP by the time enumeration is
> complete.
>
> In the case of AER capability natively owned by the kernel, the AER
> driver's init call would clear all such pending bits.
>
> Since we are going with the Firmware-First approach, and the system
> is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as AdvisoryNon-Fatal
> errors, only a correctable error interrupt can be raised to the
> Firmware which takes care of clearing the corresponding status
> registers. The firmware can't know about the UnsupReq bit being set
> as the interrupt it received is for a correctable error hence it
> clears only bits related to correctable error.
>
> All these events leave a freshly booted system with the following
> bits set.
>
> Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR- (MAbort)
> DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend- (UnsupReq)
> UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol- (UnsupReq)
>
> Since the reason for UR is well understood at this point, I would
> like to weigh in on the idea of clearing the aforementioned bits in
> the root port once the enumeration is done particularly to cater to
> the configurations where Firmware-First approach is in place.
> Please let me know your comments on this approach.

I think Secondary status (PCI_SEC_STATUS) is always owned by the OS
and is not affected by _OSC negotiation, right? Linux does basically
nothing with that today, but I think it *could* clear the "Received
Master Abort" bit.

I'm not very familiar with Advisory Non-Fatal errors. I'm curious
about the UESta situation: why can't firmware know about UnsupReq
being set? I assume PCI_ERR_COR_ADV_NFAT is the Correctable Error
Status bit the firmware *does* see and clear.

But isn't the whole point of Advisory Non-Fatal errors that an error
that is logged as an Uncorrectable Error and that normally would be
signaled with ERR_NONFATAL is signaled with ERR_COR instead? So
doesn't PCI_ERR_COR_ADV_NFAT being set imply that some
PCI_ERR_UNCOR_STATUS must be set as well? If so, I would think
firmware *could* figure that out and clear the PCI_ERR_UNCOR_STATUS
bit.

Bjorn

2023-11-07 03:16:09

by Vidya Sagar

On 11/3/2023 11:50 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> External email: Use caution opening links or attachments
>

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 12:26:31PM +0000, Vidya Sagar wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I would like to know your comments on the following scenario where
>> we are observing the root port logging errors because of the
>> enumeration flow being followed.
>>
>> DUT information:
>> - Has a root port and an endpoint connected to it
>> - Uses ECAM mechanism to access the configuration space
>> - Booted through ACPI flow
>> - Has a Firmware-First approach for handling the errors
>> - System is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as
>> AdvisoryNon-Fatal errors
>>
>> As we all know, when a configuration read request comes in for a
>> device number that is not implemented, a UR would be returned as per
>> the PCIe spec.
>>
>> As part of the enumeration flow on DUT, when the kernel reads offset
>> 0x0 of B:D:F=0:0:0, the root port responds with its valid Vendor-ID
>> and Device-ID values. But, when B:D:F=0:1:0 is probed, since there
>> is no device present there, the root port responds with an
>> Unsupported Request and simultaneously logs the same in the Device
>> Status register (i.e. bit-3). Because of it, there is a UR logged
>> in the Device Status register of the RP by the time enumeration is
>> complete.
>>
>> In the case of AER capability natively owned by the kernel, the AER
>> driver's init call would clear all such pending bits.
>>
>> Since we are going with the Firmware-First approach, and the system
>> is configured to treat Unsupported Requests as AdvisoryNon-Fatal
>> errors, only a correctable error interrupt can be raised to the
>> Firmware which takes care of clearing the corresponding status
>> registers. The firmware can't know about the UnsupReq bit being set
>> as the interrupt it received is for a correctable error hence it
>> clears only bits related to correctable error.
>>
>> All these events leave a freshly booted system with the following
>> bits set.
>>
>> Secondary status: 66MHz- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ <SERR- <PERR- (MAbort)
>> DevSta: CorrErr- NonFatalErr- FatalErr- UnsupReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend- (UnsupReq)
>> UESta: DLP- SDES- TLP- FCP- CmpltTO- CmpltAbrt- UnxCmplt- RxOF- MalfTLP- ECRC- UnsupReq+ ACSViol- (UnsupReq)
>>
>> Since the reason for UR is well understood at this point, I would
>> like to weigh in on the idea of clearing the aforementioned bits in
>> the root port once the enumeration is done particularly to cater to
>> the configurations where Firmware-First approach is in place.
>> Please let me know your comments on this approach.
>
> I think Secondary status (PCI_SEC_STATUS) is always owned by the OS
> and is not affected by _OSC negotiation, right? Linux does basically
> nothing with that today, but I think it *could* clear the "Received
> Master Abort" bit.
Yes. PCI_SEC_STATUS is always owned by the OS and _OSC negotiation
doesn't really affect that.

> I'm not very familiar with Advisory Non-Fatal errors. I'm curious
> about the UESta situation: why can't firmware know about UnsupReq
> being set? I assume PCI_ERR_COR_ADV_NFAT is the Correctable Error
> Status bit the firmware *does* see and clear.
Yes, PCI_ERR_COR_ADV_NFAT is indeed cleared by the firmware.

> But isn't the whole point of Advisory Non-Fatal errors that an error
> that is logged as an Uncorrectable Error and that normally would be
> signaled with ERR_NONFATAL is signaled with ERR_COR instead? So
> doesn't PCI_ERR_COR_ADV_NFAT being set imply that some
> PCI_ERR_UNCOR_STATUS must be set as well? If so, I would think
> firmware *could* figure that out and clear the PCI_ERR_UNCOR_STATUS
> bit.
So, are you suggesting that let the firmware only clear the
PCI_ERR_UNCOR_STATUS also? if so, then, I can even make the firmware
clear the PCI_SEC_STATUS also thereby leaving the firmware responsible
for clearing all the error bits. Does that sound ok?