2001-10-12 23:58:12

by Ian Morgan

Subject: System won't reboot from Linux?

I'v got a laptop here (Sager NP8560V (aka Clevo 8500)) that can reboot and
poweroff just fine from Windows and GRUB. It will poweroff just fine in
Linux, but refuses to reboot. i.e. gets to the end of the shutdown scripts,
says "Restarting system", then just hangs.

Of course, like most laptops, it has no reset button, so I have to use the
power button to physically power the system off then back on, which I really
hate doing.

Any ideas how to debug this? Anybody know what Windows and GRUB do to reboot
a system that Linux doesn't? I'm going to dig through the code now, but was
hoping somebody might have a quick answer.

Regards,
Ian Morgan
Ian E. Morgan Vice President & C.O.O. Webcon, Inc.
[email protected] PGP: #2DA40D07 http://www.webcon.net

by Ian Morgan

Subject: Re: System won't reboot from Linux?

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > Linux, but refuses to reboot. i.e. gets to the end of the shutdown scripts,
> > says "Restarting system", then just hangs.
>
> have you looked at the reboot= kernel parameter?

Thanks for the pointer, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
I've tried every reboot= parameter ([wc],[bh]), and still no luck...

Regards,
Ian Morgan
Ian E. Morgan Vice President & C.O.O. Webcon, Inc.
[email protected] PGP: #2DA40D07 http://www.webcon.net

by Ryan Butler

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 23:53, Ian Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Mark Hahn wrote:
>
> > > Linux, but refuses to reboot. i.e. gets to the end of the shutdown scripts,
> > > says "Restarting system", then just hangs.
> >
> > have you looked at the reboot= kernel parameter?
>
> Thanks for the pointer, but it doesn't seem to have helped.
> I've tried every reboot= parameter ([wc],[bh]), and still no luck...
>
> Regards,
> Ian Morgan

Ian:

Please have a look at the kernel thread dealing with Compaq 16xx and
APM.

This sounds like the same problem, but I'd like your thoughts on the
thread and whether it applies to other laptops than just compaq.

--
Ryan Butler
ADI Internet Solutions

2001-10-13 18:37:26

by Ian Morgan

On 13 Oct 2001, Ryan Butler wrote:

> Please have a look at the kernel thread dealing with Compaq 16xx and
> APM.
>
> This sounds like the same problem, but I'd like your thoughts on the
> thread and whether it applies to other laptops than just compaq.

Well, it did remind me about the "use real-mode to reboot" option, which I
had tried in the past, but not recently. I built up 2.4.12, and tried it
both with and without that option, as well as in combination with various
reboot= paramenters, but still no go, with or without apm.o loaded. I also
tried enabling "allow interrupts during apm calls", with no success.

Enabling output in dmi_scan.c reveals:

DMI 2.3 present.
62 structures occupying 1945 bytes.
DMI table at 0x000DC010.