2001-11-02 16:02:01

by Sean Middleditch

Subject: Via onboard audio

Hi!

I've recently purchased a Compaq Presario 700 laptop that has a Via
motherboard with onboard audio.

When I load the via82cxxx_audio driver (kernel 2.4.12), I hear the
speakers pop, but no sound ever plays. I'm check the mixer, and the
volume is up as necessary. Interrupts are occuring for the device in
/proc/interrupts. All the necessary (that I know of) modules are
loaded, such as sound/soundcore/ac97_codec.

I tried the ALSA drivers as well, and had less success. For them, I had
to use the Via 686a driver (/proc/pci reports that I have a VT82C686).
However, althouh the driver loaded, and I head my speakers pop, ALSA
utils reported that i had no configured sound cards, and no OSS based
utils worked (/dev/dsp and /dev/mixer reported invalid devices). I did
go thru and make sure my ALSA /dev entries were created and correct.

So now I'm back to the OSS drivers, but still no luck. If there's
anymore information I can post to figure out how to get this to work, or
maybe modify some drivers, please let me know what I need to do. I
don't want to have to use another OS just to hear sound. ~,^

Thanks everyone,
Sean Etc.

2001-11-02 16:14:23

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: Via onboard audio

Sean Middleditch wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've recently purchased a Compaq Presario 700 laptop that has a Via
> motherboard with onboard audio.
>
> When I load the via82cxxx_audio driver (kernel 2.4.12), I hear the
> speakers pop, but no sound ever plays. I'm check the mixer, and the
> volume is up as necessary. Interrupts are occuring for the device in
> /proc/interrupts. All the necessary (that I know of) modules are
> loaded, such as sound/soundcore/ac97_codec.

Are master volume -and- PCM volume up to 75-95%? (do not exceed 98%)

Here is a patch that is outstanding and waiting for Linus to apply, you
can try this:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patches/2.4.14/via-audio-2.4.14.6.patch.bz2

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.

2001-11-02 16:15:06

by Alan

Try the current 2.4.13-ac ones - there are some via audio updates there

2001-11-02 17:53:36

by Sean Middleditch

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 11:14, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've recently purchased a Compaq Presario 700 laptop that has a Via
> > motherboard with onboard audio.
> >
> > When I load the via82cxxx_audio driver (kernel 2.4.12), I hear the
> > speakers pop, but no sound ever plays. I'm check the mixer, and the
> > volume is up as necessary. Interrupts are occuring for the device in
> > /proc/interrupts. All the necessary (that I know of) modules are
> > loaded, such as sound/soundcore/ac97_codec.
>
> Are master volume -and- PCM volume up to 75-95%? (do not exceed 98%)

Yup, played with them all a lot, I know I tried ranges that match that.

> Here is a patch that is outstanding and waiting for Linus to apply, you
> can try this:
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patches/2.4.14/via-audio-2.4.14.6.patch.bz2

Hmm, I'm sticking with the Alan kernels, mostly just to comply with RH
packages (which is what's on my laptop, despite my usual Debian bias). Is
this included there?

Thanks!
Sean Etc.

> --
> Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
> Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.
> MandrakeSoft | - nomeansno
>
> -

by Sean Middleditch

OK, will do that. RedHat uses your kernel trees, right? I'll download
new RPM's from rawhide if they're there (I'm in no hurry.)

Thanks!
Sean Etc.

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 11:21, Alan Cox wrote:
> Try the current 2.4.13-ac ones - there are some via audio updates there
> -

by Jeff Garzik

Sean Middleditch wrote:

> On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 11:14, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I've recently purchased a Compaq Presario 700 laptop that has a Via
> > > motherboard with onboard audio.
> > >
> > > When I load the via82cxxx_audio driver (kernel 2.4.12), I hear the
> > > speakers pop, but no sound ever plays. I'm check the mixer, and the
> > > volume is up as necessary. Interrupts are occuring for the device in
> > > /proc/interrupts. All the necessary (that I know of) modules are
> > > loaded, such as sound/soundcore/ac97_codec.
> >
> > Are master volume -and- PCM volume up to 75-95%? (do not exceed 98%)
> >

> Yup, played with them all a lot, I know I tried ranges that match that.
>
> > Here is a patch that is outstanding and waiting for Linus to apply, you
> > can try this:
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patches/2.4.14/via-audio-2.4.14.6.patch.bz2
>
> Hmm, I'm sticking with the Alan kernels, mostly just to comply with RH
> packages (which is what's on my laptop, despite my usual Debian bias). Is
> this included there?

yes, it's already included in recent 2.4.13-acXX patches.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | Only so many songs can be sung
Building 1024 | with two lips, two lungs, and one tongue.
MandrakeSoft | - nomeansno

2001-11-02 18:00:26

by Alan

> OK, will do that. RedHat uses your kernel trees, right? I'll download
> new RPM's from rawhide if they're there (I'm in no hurry.)

Both Linus and -ac current trees support

make config
make rpm

rpm -Ivh blah...

then edit your lilo/grub config 8)

2001-11-02 18:04:56

by Sean Middleditch

On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:06, Alan Cox wrote:
> > OK, will do that. RedHat uses your kernel trees, right? I'll download
> > new RPM's from rawhide if they're there (I'm in no hurry.)
>
> Both Linus and -ac current trees support
>
> make config
> make rpm
>
> rpm -Ivh blah...
>
> then edit your lilo/grub config 8)

Hmm, good point, I forgot that was added.

I suppose I could be evil and ask when make deb support will be there for my
more preferred Debian boxes... But I won't ask. ~,^

Thanks, Alan!

Sean Etc.

2001-11-02 18:52:38

by David Weinehall

On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:03:13PM -0500, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Fri, 2001-11-02 at 13:06, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > OK, will do that. RedHat uses your kernel trees, right? I'll download
> > > new RPM's from rawhide if they're there (I'm in no hurry.)
> >
> > Both Linus and -ac current trees support
> >
> > make config
> > make rpm
> >
> > rpm -Ivh blah...
> >
> > then edit your lilo/grub config 8)
>
> Hmm, good point, I forgot that was added.
>
> I suppose I could be evil and ask when make deb support will be there for my
> more preferred Debian boxes... But I won't ask. ~,^

Not needed.

fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image

or similar should do the trick.

/David
_ _
// David Weinehall <[email protected]> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </

2001-11-03 16:17:31

by Sean Middleditch

Hmm, OK, I downloaded 2.4.13-0.3 RPMs from Rawhide (ya, I'm a wuss, oh
well) and it didn't like my laptop at all.

Sound did work somewhat better... XMMS didn't skip and freeze, and
cat'ing a wav to /dev/dsp didn't finish immediately (looked like it was
taking time to play, actually), but I still heard no sound. I *did*
check the mixer, and all the relevant devices are right on up there.

HOwever, 2.4.13 started freaking on me. My project I was working on
ceased to compile (gcc kept crashing, which it didn't do on 2.4.12), and
when I shut down the machine to reboot into 2.4.12, I saw a bunch of
kernel oops error message, the first of which was the VM, which had
decided to kill "sh".

In any event, I have no clue how to debug a kernel properly properly, so
I don't know what more to say. Perhaps someone can give me some
pointers? Or this is a known issue that has aready been rectified?

BTW, I won't be on the list much longer, the traffic is killer. ~,^ So
please make sure CC's or whatnot have me in them.

Thanks,
Sean Etc.