2001-12-11 21:01:48

by John Huttley

Subject: [2.4.16 bug] Major failure

Thanks to those who have replied.

The video card is a GA-660, which is a TNT2 using the Xfree driver.

I no longer have any old kernels on my system.
I've never tried using more than one compiler, so I'll put
that suggestion in the 'too hard' basket for the moment.

I have tried a 2.4.17-pre8 kernel with power management switched off.
There were no problems with this! It works just fine.

I subsequently tried a kernel with the ACPI drivers compiled in.
The system booted ok, but rather coming up with gdm, it gave
a part lit screen with no visible raster.

It did not respond to the keyboard, however I was able to ssh into it.
gdm and X were running. And i was able to shutdown. Even then the
display did not clear until i reset it.

I will try some more combinations tonight. A UP build+ACPI and a
runlevel 3 version. If I can characterise it, I'll try to get some old
kernels.

I am not on the list, please cc' any replies.
Regards
John

2001-12-11 21:17:18

by Andrew Grover

Subject: RE: [2.4.16 bug] Major failure

> From: John Huttley [mailto:[email protected]]
> The video card is a GA-660, which is a TNT2 using the Xfree driver.
> I have tried a 2.4.17-pre8 kernel with power management switched off.
> There were no problems with this! It works just fine.
> I subsequently tried a kernel with the ACPI drivers compiled in.
> The system booted ok, but rather coming up with gdm, it gave
> a part lit screen with no visible raster.

Hi John,

What is this system? A desktop? What is the motherboard?

Please send me the output from:
- dmesg
- /proc/interrupts
- /proc/ioports
- /proc/iomem
- the output from /proc/acpi/dsdt (if possible) or get pmtools from
http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm and please
provide the output from acpidmp.

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy

PS you may also want to try the latest ACPI patch from that same site, but
my guess is it will not solve your problem.

2001-12-12 05:10:22

by John Huttley

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 10:16, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> > From: John Huttley [mailto:[email protected]]
> > The video card is a GA-660, which is a TNT2 using the Xfree driver.
> > I have tried a 2.4.17-pre8 kernel with power management switched off.
> > There were no problems with this! It works just fine.
> > I subsequently tried a kernel with the ACPI drivers compiled in.
> > The system booted ok, but rather coming up with gdm, it gave
> > a part lit screen with no visible raster.

Call this config 'B', as it was the second deader.

> Hi John,
>
> What is this system? A desktop? What is the motherboard?

This is a gigabyte GA-6BXDS, BX chipset, 2x PIII cpus plus 7895 scsi.
The scsi is used for the cdrom and the tape drive.
An oldy but a goody.

> Please send me the output from:
> - dmesg
> - /proc/interrupts
> - /proc/ioports
> - /proc/iomem
> - the output from /proc/acpi/dsdt (if possible) or get pmtools from
> http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads.htm and please
> provide the output from acpidmp.
>
> Thanks -- Regards -- Andy
>
> PS you may also want to try the latest ACPI patch from that same site, but
> my guess is it will not solve your problem.

Hello Andy,

Please find attached the proc info, dmesg and the config.
This is the original failed configuration where the acpi
is compiled as modules. Call it Config 'A'. I'm going to try a few more
configs, so there may be other failures.

This system boots to run level 5.

The failure mode is:

* Switch to VC1 and start a 'tar' to the tape drive.

* Switch to X.

* Switch to VC1 to review the progress of the 'tar' and the system locks
solid. No ping either.

Please cc' me on any reply as I am not on the list.

Thank you for your interest,

Regards
John

Attachments: