2001-12-14 15:43:38

by Sven Vermeulen

Subject: 2.4.17-rc1 doesn't boot (on K6-II)

Hi,

When booting 2.4.17-rc1, the following text appears:

-------------------------------------------- BEGIN --
Uncompressing Linux...

ran out of input data

-- System halted
--------------------------------------------- END ---

This has never occured to me before. I'm compiling -rc1 now on another box
(with a different gcc - mine is 2.96-85 - yes, RedHat packaged it) to make
sure this isn't due to gcc.

Sven Vermeulen

--
I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source code than
10 minutes listening to Musak waiting for technical support which

2001-12-14 16:12:59

by Sven Vermeulen

Subject: Resolved (was Re: 2.4.17-rc1 doesn't boot (on K6-II))

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 04:43:01PM +0100, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> When booting 2.4.17-rc1, the following text appears:
[...]

A kernel compiled with a different gcc went very well. I found it strange
that the gcc I previously used (which I always use for compiling) gave that
error, so I recompiled it with that compiler and rebooted... which went
alright.

I can only guess what has mishappened. My /boot was full, but I hardly think
this was the problem.

Oh well, it goes well now, no need to complain, do I? ;-)

Sven Vermeulen

--
panic("Foooooooood fight!");
~(In the kernel source aha1542.c, after detecting a bad segment list.)

2001-12-15 22:33:07

by Phil Sorber

Subject: Re: Resolved (was Re: 2.4.17-rc1 doesn't boot (on K6-II))

On Fri, 2001-12-14 at 11:12, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> A kernel compiled with a different gcc went very well. I found it strange
> that the gcc I previously used (which I always use for compiling) gave that
> error, so I recompiled it with that compiler and rebooted... which went
> alright.

so now which version of gcc worked and which failed exactly?

--
Phil Sorber
AIM: PSUdaemon

Attachments:
(No filename) (232.00 B)

2001-12-16 08:37:42

by Sven Vermeulen

On 15 Dec 2001, Phil Sorber wrote:

> so now which version of gcc worked and which failed exactly?

Both (3.0.1 and 2.96-85, the RedHat-one) worked, that's just whats weird
about it (to me).

Sven Vermeulen

--
I thought I saw a pussycat...
I did! I did! I did saw a pussycat!

2001-12-18 20:54:43

by Hirling Endre

Subject: Re: 2.4.17-rc1 doesn't boot (on K6-II)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Sven Vermeulen wrote:

> When booting 2.4.17-rc1, the following text appears:
> Uncompressing Linux...
>
> ran out of input data
>
> -- System halted

Check your installed kernel image, it may be truncated. This just
happened to me using kernel-image .deb: only part of the kernel image
got unpacked.

-m-