2001-12-16 18:45:56

by Borsenkow Andrej

Subject: PATCH: apm.c - runtime parameter for APM Idle call

After investigating kapm_idled problem here it turned out quite simple -
BIOS neither slows down CPU nor halts it so kapm_idled enters busy loop
doing basically

while !system_busy
do nothing

eating away CPU. This applies to patch of Andreas as well.

I do not like an option of recompiling without CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE
because I think about distribution kernel in the first place. I have
ASUS CUSL2 motherboard - it is not unusual brand and obviously many
people have the same problem and you cannot expect all of them to
recompile kernel. So this patch adds runtime parameter (no-)apm-idle
that has the same effect - enabling/disabling usage of APM Idle BIOS
calls. It is initialised according to CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE and should be
100% compatible.

If Andreas patch is accepted it needs the same treatment.

I thought once about run-time detection - if BIOS reports that Idle does
not slow down CPU try Idle call once and compare jiffies (probably
repeat several times to be sure). Is it sensible?

Patch is agains 2.4.16-9.dk but should apply to any version I guess.

-andrej

Attachments:
apm-idle.diff (1.04 kB)

2001-12-17 03:35:03

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: PATCH: apm.c - runtime parameter for APM Idle call

On 16 Dec 2001, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:

> I thought once about run-time detection - if BIOS reports that Idle does
> not slow down CPU try Idle call once and compare jiffies (probably
> repeat several times to be sure). Is it sensible?

A far simpler way would be to add DMI blacklist entries for the BIOSes
that don't do this, although this assumes the problem machine has a DMI
compliant BIOS.

Dave.

--
| Dave Jones. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
| SuSE Labs

2001-12-18 17:56:21

by Borsenkow Andrej

Subject: PATCH: apm.c - detection of brokern APM Idle call implementation

On ???, 2001-12-17 at 06:34, Dave Jones wrote:
> On 16 Dec 2001, Borsenkow Andrej wrote:
>
> > I thought once about run-time detection - if BIOS reports that Idle does
> > not slow down CPU try Idle call once and compare jiffies (probably
> > repeat several times to be sure). Is it sensible?
>
> A far simpler way would be to add DMI blacklist entries for the BIOSes
> that don't do this, although this assumes the problem machine has a DMI
> compliant BIOS.

Well, the following three-liners (+ comments) seems to do it. It checks
if clock was advanced after return from APM Idle - if not we assume BIOS
did not halt CPU and do it ourselves. The addidional condition &&
!current->need_resched is for the case when BIOS did halt CPU and
non-clock interrupt happened that waked up somebody else. But may be I
am just plain paranoid. The code has no impact for "BIOS slows CPU"
case.

It works here for broken BIOS. I appreciate if people with good BIOS
test it.

-andrej

Attachments:
apm-idle-2.diff (790.00 B)