2001-12-22 15:00:27

by Alvaro Lopes

Subject: Mount point permissions

Hi all

I just created a RAID0-reiserfs filesystem to hold /tmp (I expect to
have some increased performance since my rootfs is on a LVM/RAID5
array). The problem (althrough I can easily override it) is whenever the
new fs is mounted, all permissions on /tmp are overriden (I double
checked on mount options and there seems no option is provided for
mountpoint permissions). So what I get is:

dwarf:~# ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 8 root root 336 Dez 22 14:55 /tmp
dwarf:~# mount /dev/RAID0VOL/TEMP /tmp
dwarf:~# ls -ld /tmp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 Dez 22 14:45 /tmp

Shouldn't mount preserve original mountpoint permissions ?

?lvaro Lopes

2001-12-22 15:06:07

by Alexander Viro

Subject: Re: Mount point permissions

On 22 Dec 2001, Alvaro Lopes wrote:

> Shouldn't mount preserve original mountpoint permissions ?

No, it shouldn't.

2001-12-22 15:07:07

by Alan

> dwarf:~# ls -ld /tmp
> drwxrwxrwt 8 root root 336 Dez 22 14:55 /tmp
> dwarf:~# mount /dev/RAID0VOL/TEMP /tmp
> dwarf:~# ls -ld /tmp
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 48 Dez 22 14:45 /tmp
>
> Shouldn't mount preserve original mountpoint permissions ?

It does. If you umount it you will get them back. mount replaced "/tmp"
with the root inode of your new volume, hence the change. Fix the root
inode of the new fs and all will be happy