2002-01-17 18:20:03

by kelley eicher

Subject: safest verion of gcc to use?

hi,

quick question here. [kernel-src]/Documentation/Changes and
[kernel-src]/README say two different things about which version of gcc
is recommended for the compiling of the linux kernel. README says egcs
1.1.2 and Documentation/Changes says to use gcc 2.95.3 or greater.
is the last egcs release still the preferred or has that changed to the
gcc 2.95.x releases?

i assume that README is outdated and should not mention a version of gcc
at all for compilation of the src. it seems that README instructs the user
to refer to Documentation/Changes for the latest info but makes it confusing
by stating, "Make sure you have gcc-2.91.66 (egcs-1.1.2) available."

-kelley

--

>> kelley j eicher
<< UNIX architect
>> Univ. of MN Astronomy Dept.
<< ph: (612) 626-2067 or (612) 624-3589
>> fx: (612) 626-2029
<< office: 385 physics
>> carde at astro dot umn dot edu

Attachments:
(No filename) (874.00 B)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Reid Hekman

Subject: Re: safest verion of gcc to use?

On Thu, 2002-01-17 at 12:19, kelley eicher wrote:
> quick question here. [kernel-src]/Documentation/Changes and
> [kernel-src]/README say two different things about which version of gcc
> is recommended for the compiling of the linux kernel. README says egcs
> 1.1.2 and Documentation/Changes says to use gcc 2.95.3 or greater.
> is the last egcs release still the preferred or has that changed to the
> gcc 2.95.x releases?

Yes, Documentation/Changes is more correct. For i386, 2.95.[34] and
2.96-[>=85] work fine. GCC 3.0.3 should work too, though some drivers
have had difficulties and earlier 3.x releases generated some ICE's.
Other architectures may vary.

./README and ./Documentation/Changes need some trimming...

Regards,
Reid

2002-01-17 18:53:52

by Wakko Warner

> Yes, Documentation/Changes is more correct. For i386, 2.95.[34] and
> 2.96-[>=85] work fine. GCC 3.0.3 should work too, though some drivers
> have had difficulties and earlier 3.x releases generated some ICE's.
> Other architectures may vary.

IMO, gcc 3.0.3 shouldn't be used (atleast on alpha platforms). I tried it
and I got nothing but ecc errors all over the console