2002-01-22 17:21:45

by Daniel Nofftz

Subject: [right one][patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

in the first mail, i forget to append the patch ... this one is the right
mail to look at ... (sorry)

hi there!

a few month ago someone has posted a patch for enabling the disconneect
on STPGND detect function in the kt133/kt133a chipset. for those who don't
know what this does: it sets a bit in a register of the northbridge of the
chipset to enable the power saving modes of the athlon/duron/athlon xp
prozessors.
i did not found any patch which enables this function on an kt266/kt266a
board. so i modified this patch (
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=via_disconnect&hl=en&selm=linux.kernel.20010903002855.A645%40gondor.com&rnum=1
)
to support the kt266 and kt266a chipset to.

now i am looking for people to test the patch and repord, whether it works
allright on other computers than my computer (i tested this patch on an
epox 8kha+ whith an xp1600+).

if you want to test this patch:
1. first apply the patch
2. enable generel-setup -> acpi , acpi-bus-maager , prozessor
in the kernel config
3. add to the "append" line in /etc/lilo.conf the "amd_disconnect=yes"
statemand (or after reboot enter at the kernel-boot-prompt
"amd_disconnect=yes")
4. build a knew kernel
5. report to me, whether you have problems ...

if the patch gets a good feedback, maybe it is something for the official
kernel tree ?

daniel

# Daniel Nofftz
# Sysadmin CIP-Pool Informatik
# University of Trier(Germany), Room V 103
# Mail: [email protected]

Attachments:
amd_cool.diff (3.19 kB)

2002-01-24 19:23:27

by Disconnect

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 12:21, Daniel Nofftz wrote:
> if you want to test this patch:
> 1. first apply the patch
> 2. enable generel-setup -> acpi , acpi-bus-maager , prozessor
> in the kernel config
> 3. add to the "append" line in /etc/lilo.conf the "amd_disconnect=yes"
> statemand (or after reboot enter at the kernel-boot-prompt
> "amd_disconnect=yes")
> 4. build a knew kernel
> 5. report to me, whether you have problems ...

I just finished testing the patch, and it shows huge temperature savings
(10 to 15C when idle). The problem is, it screws up v4l (bttv), usb
keyboard under X becomes effectively unusable, etc.

V4l - using xinerama, xvideo, v4l under X4.1.0.1 - the picture gets
jagged lines through it (offset scanlines maybe?) and tends to be jumpy.

usb keyboard - its slightly bad under X anyway (sticky keys, modifiers,
etc) but with this patch I had to log in from another system just to
shut down - even ctrl-alt-delete wouldn't work. In about 15 mins of
arguing with it I probably got 20 keystrokes into the xserver. (mouse
continued to work fine however.)

Seems like a great idea, if these problems can be solved. I'd love to
get my cpu back down to 30C on a regular basis ;)

(Currently running the same kernel w/o amd_disconnect=yes and it isn't
showing any problems at all.)

Motherboard is an Iwill kk266 (kt133) w/ a 1.2G tbird, 512M ram, 2
aic7xxx (one pcb w/ pci bridge)
Primary video: nvidia geforce2 mx (yah yah but it works ;) ..)
Second/Third video: matrox mga g100 (4port card, 2 ports in use)

Also, I noticed an odd problem w/ ACPI. dmesg shows:
ACPI: Power Button (FF) found
ACPI: Multiple power buttons detected, ignoring fixed-feature
ACPI: Power Button (CM) found
..and:
ls -l /proc/acpi/button/
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 14:19 power/
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 14:19 power/

2002-01-24 21:45:01

by Daniel Nofftz

On 24 Jan 2002, Disconnect wrote:

> I just finished testing the patch, and it shows huge temperature savings
> (10 to 15C when idle). The problem is, it screws up v4l (bttv), usb
> keyboard under X becomes effectively unusable, etc.
>
> V4l - using xinerama, xvideo, v4l under X4.1.0.1 - the picture gets
> jagged lines through it (offset scanlines maybe?) and tends to be jumpy.
>
> usb keyboard - its slightly bad under X anyway (sticky keys, modifiers,
> etc) but with this patch I had to log in from another system just to
> shut down - even ctrl-alt-delete wouldn't work. In about 15 mins of
> arguing with it I probably got 20 keystrokes into the xserver. (mouse
> continued to work fine however.)

phhhwwww ... sound problems, video problems, harddisk-dma problems ... now
usb problems ... it looks like i am a realy lucky boy that this patch
works on my computer whithout any problem ...
but : cause i have no problems with the patch, i have another problem : i
could not look where the problems come from ... :( ... so i need those on
of you, who have problems with it, so we could track the cause of the
problems down ...

> Seems like a great idea, if these problems can be solved. I'd love to
> get my cpu back down to 30C on a regular basis ;)
>
> (Currently running the same kernel w/o amd_disconnect=yes and it isn't
> showing any problems at all.)
>
> Motherboard is an Iwill kk266 (kt133) w/ a 1.2G tbird, 512M ram, 2
> aic7xxx (one pcb w/ pci bridge)
> Primary video: nvidia geforce2 mx (yah yah but it works ;) ..)
> Second/Third video: matrox mga g100 (4port card, 2 ports in use)
>
> Also, I noticed an odd problem w/ ACPI. dmesg shows:
> ACPI: Power Button (FF) found
> ACPI: Multiple power buttons detected, ignoring fixed-feature
> ACPI: Power Button (CM) found

as far as i know the power button does not work at all with the curent
kernel ... so i think it is no problem :)

daniel

# Daniel Nofftz
# Sysadmin CIP-Pool Informatik
# University of Trier(Germany), Room V 103
# Mail: [email protected]

2002-01-24 23:14:43

by Disconnect

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 16:44, Daniel Nofftz wrote:
> but : cause i have no problems with the patch, i have another problem : i
> could not look where the problems come from ... :( ... so i need those on
> of you, who have problems with it, so we could track the cause of the
> problems down ...

Lemme know what you need.

> > Also, I noticed an odd problem w/ ACPI. dmesg shows:
> > ACPI: Power Button (FF) found
> > ACPI: Multiple power buttons detected, ignoring fixed-feature
> > ACPI: Power Button (CM) found
>
> as far as i know the power button does not work at all with the curent
> kernel ... so i think it is no problem :)

I just apt-get install acpid and edit /etc/acpi/default.sh to do
whatever I want :)

2002-01-25 16:53:13

by Disconnect

On suggestions from a few people, I tried underclocking the system to
1200 mhz (x12 instead of x13) and most of the problems went away.

The jagged lines on xawtv are present only during "fast motion" although
there is some fuzz on all motion, its watchable (akin to slightly bad
reception.)

The usb keyboard problems went away (that could relate to other things
I've been messing with - X seems happier w/ 2 usb keyboards than with
just 1 for some reason.)

Testing sound and such, no skips or other issues from xmms, even when
top reports 70-80% idle.

CPU states: 22.2% user, 10.9% system, 24.7% nice, 42.2% idle
CPU Temp: +35.8 C (limit = +51 C, hysteresis = +49 C)

So I'm about 10C lower than before. Yay :)

Any way to selectively enable/disable this from userspace? (Such that,
eg, when I'm not watching tv I can enable, when I fire up xawtv and/or
high-load apps I can disable..)

Maybe (eventually) base it off load average..? (So load >.8 its
disabled, below that its selectively enabled - daemon to handle it could
be taught to check process lists, etc..)

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 14:19, Disconnect wrote:
> I just finished testing the patch, and it shows huge temperature savings
> (10 to 15C when idle). The problem is, it screws up v4l (bttv), usb
> keyboard under X becomes effectively unusable, etc.
>
> V4l - using xinerama, xvideo, v4l under X4.1.0.1 - the picture gets
> jagged lines through it (offset scanlines maybe?) and tends to be jumpy.
>
> usb keyboard - its slightly bad under X anyway (sticky keys, modifiers,
> etc) but with this patch I had to log in from another system just to
> shut down - even ctrl-alt-delete wouldn't work. In about 15 mins of
> arguing with it I probably got 20 keystrokes into the xserver. (mouse
> continued to work fine however.)
>
> Seems like a great idea, if these problems can be solved. I'd love to
> get my cpu back down to 30C on a regular basis ;)
>
> (Currently running the same kernel w/o amd_disconnect=yes and it isn't
> showing any problems at all.)
>
> Motherboard is an Iwill kk266 (kt133) w/ a 1.2G tbird, 512M ram, 2
> aic7xxx (one pcb w/ pci bridge)
> Primary video: nvidia geforce2 mx (yah yah but it works ;) ..)
> Second/Third video: matrox mga g100 (4port card, 2 ports in use)
>
> Also, I noticed an odd problem w/ ACPI. dmesg shows:
> ACPI: Power Button (FF) found
> ACPI: Multiple power buttons detected, ignoring fixed-feature
> ACPI: Power Button (CM) found
> ..and:
> ls -l /proc/acpi/button/
> total 0
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 14:19 power/
> dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 24 14:19 power/
>

> -

by Mark Hahn

> Maybe (eventually) base it off load average..? (So load >.8 its

disconnect should probably only happen after, say, n seconds of idleness.

2002-01-28 11:24:54

by Daniel Nofftz

On 25 Jan 2002, Disconnect wrote:

> On suggestions from a few people, I tried underclocking the system to
> 1200 mhz (x12 instead of x13) and most of the problems went away.

hmmm ... interesting ... maybe it has to do with the errata 11 bug ...

> The usb keyboard problems went away (that could relate to other things
> I've been messing with - X seems happier w/ 2 usb keyboards than with
> just 1 for some reason.)

good :)

> Testing sound and such, no skips or other issues from xmms, even when
> top reports 70-80% idle.
>
> CPU states: 22.2% user, 10.9% system, 24.7% nice, 42.2% idle
> CPU Temp: +35.8 C (limit = +51 C, hysteresis = +49 C)
>
> So I'm about 10C lower than before. Yay :)
>
> Any way to selectively enable/disable this from userspace? (Such that,
> eg, when I'm not watching tv I can enable, when I fire up xawtv and/or
> high-load apps I can disable..)

hmmm .. .someone said it before: you could do this with the setpci
command. i tested it this morning:

kt133/133a and kx133:

enable: setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 52=EB
disable: setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 52=6B

kt266/266a:

enable: setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 92=EB
disable: setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 92=6B

remember: this is without my patch ... if my patch is compiled in and
active, the first "enable" is allready done at startup :)

> Maybe (eventually) base it off load average..? (So load >.8 its
> disabled, below that its selectively enabled - daemon to handle it could
> be taught to check process lists, etc..)

maybee ... i will think about it ...