2002-03-09 19:57:54

by David Hajek

Subject: apm problems on thinkpad

Hi!

I have several problems with APM on my IBM Thinkpad R30
laptop. Standby mode (apm -s) does not work properly,
because all fans are running. Laptop survives no more
than hour when in standby mode, because all battery
power is eatten. Is it possible to stop them? ;-) I try
the same with win2k and it works fine.

Its interesting that resume works fine - no locks or
some other problems with it.

I am running 2.4.18 with ide.2.4.18rc1.

Other configs:

CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

# cat /proc/apm
1.16 1.2 0x07 0x01 0x00 0x01 100% -1 ?

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

Thanks.

-David

2002-03-09 20:21:20

by Thomas Hood

Subject: Re: apm problems on thinkpad

> Standby mode (apm -s) does not work properly,
> because all fans are running.

What does standby mode do under windows?

I have a ThinkPad 600. I never use standby;
only suspend.

2002-03-09 20:41:53

by David Hajek

> > Standby mode (apm -s) does not work properly,
> > because all fans are running.
>
> What does standby mode do under windows?
>
> I have a ThinkPad 600. I never use standby;
> only suspend.

Dunno, but I think that standby means suspend under
win ? - they offer standby and hibernate modes.

Doesn't matter, fans should stop in all cases.

-D

2002-03-09 21:50:26

by Robert Claeson

Thomas Hood wrote:

>Standby mode (apm -s) does not work properly,
>because all fans are running.
>>

> What does standby mode do under windows?
>
> I have a ThinkPad 600. I never use standby;
> only suspend.

Standby works fine for me on a Thinkpad T21. I never use suspend with
Linux because I haven't take the time to investigate whether I need a
separate suspend partition or not (W2K suspends to a file in the W2K
file system).

/roc

2002-03-10 01:15:34

by Thomas Hood

> I never use suspend with Linux because I haven't take
> the time to investigate whether I need a separate suspend
> partition

I think we have terminological problems here. I know that the
various kinds of sedation are termed differently by different
manufacturers, but usually:

'standby' refers to a state of mildly reduced power consumption
which can be ended immediately;

'suspend' refers to a state of severely reduced power
consumption in which peripherals are switched off but the
CPU and RAM are kept powered up;

'hibernation' refers to a state of zero power consumption
in which the entire system state is saved to disk and the
machine is powered off.

On a ThinkPad, standby seems to consist of the screen
being switched off. Suspend and hibernation are as
described above.