2002-03-16 21:33:54

by Alex Walker

Subject: Oops in 2.5.7-pre2: ACPI?

Please CC me in!

Please find attached details of an oops I get in 2.5.7-pre2 with the
attached config.

Up to 2.5.7-pre1 ACPI worked fine with System, Processor and Button
options enabled.

If I disable all the options, leaving just ACPI support, it still oopss.

If I disable ACPI totally, it boots fine.
If I disable Power management, but leave ACPI and option selected, it
also oopss.

The only change I have made to the vanilla tree is the changes is
fs/reiserfs/journal.c that I was told about on here the other day.

Alex

--
ALEX|X3JA
[email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (608.00 B)
boot-2.5.7-pre2 (3.59 kB)
ksymoops-2.5.7-pre2 (2.30 kB)
config-2.5.7-pre2 (21.98 kB)

by Miles Lane

Subject: Re: Oops in 2.5.7-pre2: ACPI?

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 13:33, Alex Walker wrote:
> Please CC me in!
>
> Please find attached details of an oops I get in 2.5.7-pre2 with the
> attached config.
>
> Up to 2.5.7-pre1 ACPI worked fine with System, Processor and Button
> options enabled.
>
> If I disable all the options, leaving just ACPI support, it still oopss.
>
> If I disable ACPI totally, it boots fine.
> If I disable Power management, but leave ACPI and option selected, it
> also oopss.
>
> The only change I have made to the vanilla tree is the changes is
> fs/reiserfs/journal.c that I was told about on here the other day.

I have reproduced this problem. If a copy of my .config file
would be helpful, just let me know and I'll send it along.

Miles

2002-03-16 23:27:26

by Linus Torvalds

In article <[email protected]>,
Alex Walker <[email protected]> wrote:

>Up to 2.5.7-pre1 ACPI worked fine with System, Processor and Button
>options enabled.
>
>If I disable all the options, leaving just ACPI support, it still oopss.
>
>If I disable ACPI totally, it boots fine.

There was a big ACPI merge in 2.5.7-pre2, but since the ACPI people
never tested the non-ACPI case, they had broken that horribly by some
bad assumptions they had made.

I fixed the non-ACPI brokenness, which then left the ACPI merge in a
halfway state.. So right now ACPI device initialization doesn't work.
I'm hoping that the ACPI folks can fix up their broken assumptions soon.

>If I disable Power management, but leave ACPI and option selected, it
>also oopss.

Right now you need to run 2.5.7-pre2 without any ACPI support
whatsoever, I'm afraid. I may try to fix it on my own, but I'm still
hoping some official ACPI person will beat me to it.

Linus

2002-03-18 18:46:36

by Andrew Grover

> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
> I fixed the non-ACPI brokenness, which then left the ACPI merge in a
> halfway state.. So right now ACPI device initialization
> doesn't work.
> I'm hoping that the ACPI folks can fix up their broken
> assumptions soon.

I can see from bkbits looks like you already fixed it post-pre2, so I guess
we will just sit tight and everything will be fine once pre3 is out.

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy

2002-03-18 19:08:43

by Linus Torvalds

On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Grover, Andrew wrote:

> I can see from bkbits looks like you already fixed it post-pre2, so I guess
> we will just sit tight and everything will be fine once pre3 is out.

I haven't much tested my fixes, but I hope it's close enough to be
workable.

Linus