2020-08-26 09:32:23

by Harald Arnesen

Subject: Re: [Intel-gfx] 5.9-rc1: graphics regression moved from -next to mainline

Harald Arnesen [26.08.2020 10:36]:

> I was wrong about ssh working. The whole machine locks up when X starts.
>
> A strange thing, sometimes I can log in from lightdm before it locks up,
> sometimes I cannot even use the login screen. Timing related?
>
> If I don't start X, console login seems to work fine, and I see nothing
> obvious in the logs or kernel messages.
>
> I will try to start just a window manager with startx instead of going
> through lightdm.

Disabled lightdm, started DE or WM from .xinitrc:

xfce4-session: Machine locks up
enlightenment: Machine works

Somehow related to lightdm or xfce4? However, it is a regression, since
kernel 5.8 works.
--
Hilsen Harald

2020-08-26 18:08:03

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Somehow related to lightdm or xfce4? However, it is a regression, since
> kernel 5.8 works.

Yeah, apparently there's something else wrong with the relocation changes too.

That said, does that patch at

https://lore.kernel.org/intel-gfx/[email protected]/

change things at all? If there are two independent bugs, maybe
applying that patch might at least give you an oops that gets saved in
the logs?

(it might be worth waiting a bit after the machine locks up in case
the machine is alive enough so sync logs after a bit.. If ssh works,
that's obviously better yet)

Linus

2020-08-26 20:48:08

by Harald Arnesen

Linus Torvalds [26.08.2020 20:04]:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Somehow related to lightdm or xfce4? However, it is a regression, since
>> kernel 5.8 works.
> Yeah, apparently there's something else wrong with the relocation changes too.
>
> That said, does that patch at
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/intel-gfx/[email protected]/
>
> change things at all? If there are two independent bugs, maybe
> applying that patch might at least give you an oops that gets saved in
> the logs?
>
> (it might be worth waiting a bit after the machine locks up in case
> the machine is alive enough so sync logs after a bit.. If ssh works,
> that's obviously better yet)

No, doesn't help. And I was wrong, ssh does not work at all when the
display locks up.
--
Hilsen Harald

2020-08-26 20:48:50

by Dave Airlie

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 06:44, Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:

> Linus Torvalds [26.08.2020 20:04]:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 2:30 AM Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Somehow related to lightdm or xfce4? However, it is a regression, since
> >> kernel 5.8 works.
> > Yeah, apparently there's something else wrong with the relocation changes too.
> >
> > That said, does that patch at
> >
> > https://lore.kernel.org/intel-gfx/[email protected]/
> >
> > change things at all? If there are two independent bugs, maybe
> > applying that patch might at least give you an oops that gets saved in
> > the logs?
> >
> > (it might be worth waiting a bit after the machine locks up in case
> > the machine is alive enough so sync logs after a bit.. If ssh works,
> > that's obviously better yet)
>
> No, doesn't help. And I was wrong, ssh does not work at all when the
> display locks up.

Did you say what hw you had? is it the same hw as Pavel or different?

Dave.

2020-08-26 20:56:42

by Harald Arnesen

Dave Airlie [26.08.2020 22:47]:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 06:44, Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Linus Torvalds [26.08.2020 20:04]:

>> > Yeah, apparently there's something else wrong with the relocation changes too.
>> >
>> > That said, does that patch at
>> >
>> > https://lore.kernel.org/intel-gfx/[email protected]/
>> >
>> > change things at all? If there are two independent bugs, maybe
>> > applying that patch might at least give you an oops that gets saved in
>> > the logs?
>> >
>> > (it might be worth waiting a bit after the machine locks up in case
>> > the machine is alive enough so sync logs after a bit.. If ssh works,
>> > that's obviously better yet)
>>
>> No, doesn't help. And I was wrong, ssh does not work at all when the
>> display locks up.
>
> Did you say what hw you had? is it the same hw as Pavel or different?
>
> Dave.

It's a Thinkpad T520.
Output from 'lspci' attached.

--
Hilsen Harald

Attachments:
hw.txt (1.74 kB)

2020-08-26 21:01:27

by Linus Torvalds

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's a Thinkpad T520.

Oh, so this is a 64-bit machine? Yeah, that patch to flush vmalloc
ranges won't make any difference on x86-64.

Or are you for some reason running a 32-bit kernel on that thing? Have
you tried building a 64-bit one (user-space can be 32-bit, it should
all just work. Knock wood).

Linus

2020-08-27 07:15:56

by Harald Arnesen

Linus Torvalds [26.08.2020 22:59]:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 1:53 PM Harald Arnesen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> It's a Thinkpad T520.
>
> Oh, so this is a 64-bit machine? Yeah, that patch to flush vmalloc
> ranges won't make any difference on x86-64.
>
> Or are you for some reason running a 32-bit kernel on that thing? Have
> you tried building a 64-bit one (user-space can be 32-bit, it should
> all just work. Knock wood).

No, I run a 64-bit kernel with 64-bit userspace (Void Linux).
Config is attached, in case anything is obvious from that.
--
Hilsen Harald

Attachments:
config-5.9.0-rc2-00057-g2ac69819ba9e-dirty (135.15 kB)

2020-08-27 07:29:33

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> >> It's a Thinkpad T520.
> >
> > Oh, so this is a 64-bit machine? Yeah, that patch to flush vmalloc
> > ranges won't make any difference on x86-64.
> >
> > Or are you for some reason running a 32-bit kernel on that thing? Have
> > you tried building a 64-bit one (user-space can be 32-bit, it should
> > all just work. Knock wood).
>
> No, I run a 64-bit kernel with 64-bit userspace (Void Linux).
> Config is attached, in case anything is obvious from that.

For the record, I'm running 5.9.0-rc2-next-20200825 w/o further
patches, and it behaves okay on that 32-bit thinkpad x60.

BTW... could we get the test farms to occassionaly boot in 32-bit
mode? Those modern CPUs can still do that :-).

Best regards,
Pavel

(No filename) (897.00 B)
signature.asc (188.00 B)
Digital signature

by Harald Arnesen

Still (rc3) doesn't work without the three reverts.

I'm not sure how to proceed, I cannot capture any oops, and see nothing
obvious in any logs.
--
Hilsen Harald

2020-09-09 09:16:18

by Pavel Machek

On Tue 2020-09-01 13:57:55, Harald Arnesen wrote:
> Still (rc3) doesn't work without the three reverts.
>
> I'm not sure how to proceed, I cannot capture any oops, and see nothing
> obvious in any logs.

I believe this is the place when you ask Linus for reverts...

Best regards,

Pavel

(No filename) (448.00 B)
signature.asc (188.00 B)