2002-06-05 19:27:26

by Larry McVoy

Subject: Linux based VOIP PBX?

Hi, sorry for the somewhat off topic question, but I'd love to know if there
are any production quality Linux based voice over IP products out there.
We currently use a 3com NBX and it sort of sucks. It works fine on a
LAN, it sucks on a WAN. I'm open to replacing it, but if I did, I'd want
to go with a Linux based system, for lots of reasons. If you know of such
a product, or are working on one, please contact me. I don't want a free
product, I want to pay for it and I want it to work. 100% of the time.
And we need the voicemail/conferencing/menutree stuf that you get with
a real product.

We have $15K into the 3com, so that gives you some idea of our willingness
to spend money.

2002-06-05 19:50:33

by Wayne Willson

Subject: Re: Linux based VOIP PBX?

Larry,

Give this site a look. This is a real VOIP PBX (it scales about as large
as you would ever need). It may be slight overkill as it was made for the
carrier-class market.

http://www.vovida.org/

Wayne

On Wed, 5 Jun 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Hi, sorry for the somewhat off topic question, but I'd love to know if there
> are any production quality Linux based voice over IP products out there.
> We currently use a 3com NBX and it sort of sucks. It works fine on a
> LAN, it sucks on a WAN. I'm open to replacing it, but if I did, I'd want
> to go with a Linux based system, for lots of reasons. If you know of such
> a product, or are working on one, please contact me. I don't want a free
> product, I want to pay for it and I want it to work. 100% of the time.
> And we need the voicemail/conferencing/menutree stuf that you get with
> a real product.
>
> We have $15K into the 3com, so that gives you some idea of our willingness
> to spend money.
> -

by Ryan Butler

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 14:27, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Hi, sorry for the somewhat off topic question, but I'd love to know if there
> are any production quality Linux based voice over IP products out there.
> We currently use a 3com NBX and it sort of sucks. It works fine on a
> LAN, it sucks on a WAN. I'm open to replacing it, but if I did, I'd want
> to go with a Linux based system, for lots of reasons. If you know of such
> a product, or are working on one, please contact me. I don't want a free
> product, I want to pay for it and I want it to work. 100% of the time.
> And we need the voicemail/conferencing/menutree stuf that you get with
> a real product.
>
> We have $15K into the 3com, so that gives you some idea of our willingness
> to spend money.
> -

Hey Larry,

You might check out the asterisk project, http://www.asteriskpbx.org
Its a fully open source pc based PBX system that supports a wide variety
of PSTN options as well as a open source voip protocol called IAX, as
well as H.323 and SIP support is supposed to be coming (as soon as a
group or a person wants to donate some cash to its implementation). So
far I have been very impressed with their progress.

Ryan Butler
[email protected]