2002-07-07 22:35:06

by Shanti Katta

Subject: Reg. segmentation fault on sparc with gcc-3.0 (ld)

Hi,
When I try to compile user-mode-linux on UltraSparc-I, I get the
following error message during linking:

gcc-3.0 -o mk_task mk_task_user.o mk_task_kern.o
collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault], core dumped

I could not get any help regarding this error on the web. Is it because
of some sparc 32/64 oddities or it has something to do with the
compiler?

Any pointers will be appreciated

Thank you,
-Regards
-Shanti

2002-07-07 22:46:51

by Austin Gonyou

Subject: Re: Reg. segmentation fault on sparc with gcc-3.0 (ld)

I would have to recommend you try 3.1. I've had issues compiling lots of
stuff with 3.0, until 3.0.4, but still 3.1 has been much better. The
issues were just odd, and I can't really say what fixed them exactly,
but rebuilding problematic programs, with gcc 3.1, made my problems go
away. Usual things were spurious segfaults for no apparent reason. GDB
couldn't even help, not really.

On Sun, 2002-07-07 at 17:43, Shanti Katta wrote:
> Hi,
> When I try to compile user-mode-linux on UltraSparc-I, I get the
> following error message during linking:
>
> gcc-3.0 -o mk_task mk_task_user.o mk_task_kern.o
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation fault], core dumped
>
> I could not get any help regarding this error on the web. Is it because
> of some sparc 32/64 oddities or it has something to do with the
> compiler?
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated
>
> Thank you,
> -Regards