2002-08-12 18:40:04

by Peter Klotz

Subject: 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 don't boot

Hi

Up to 2.4.19-rc1 my system worked fine but 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 produce
the following message at startup:

Mounting root filesystem
ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ide-cd, errno = 2
hda: driver not present
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 108k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I have no idea what causes the problem since I did not change the kernel
configuration.

The system configuration is as follows:
Athlon XP 1600+
Asus A7V266-E (VIA KT266A)
512MB RAM
hda, hdc are IDE Harddisks

Any suggestions welcome.

2002-08-12 18:54:07

by Alan

Subject: Re: 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 don't boot

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 19:46, Peter Klotz wrote:
> Hi
>
> Up to 2.4.19-rc1 my system worked fine but 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 produce
> the following message at startup:
>
> Mounting root filesystem
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ide-cd, errno = 2
> hda: driver not present

Compile in hard disk support

2002-08-12 20:12:59

by Peter Klotz

> > Up to 2.4.19-rc1 my system worked fine but 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1
produce
> > the following message at startup:
> >
> > Mounting root filesystem
> > ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> > kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ide-cd, errno = 2
> > hda: driver not present
>
> Compile in hard disk support

Both options below are set to "yes" in the kernel configuration:
Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support

2002-08-12 20:51:38

by Adrian Bunk

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Peter Klotz wrote:

> Hi

Hi Peter,

> Up to 2.4.19-rc1 my system worked fine but 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 produce
> the following message at startup:
>
> Mounting root filesystem
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ide-cd, errno = 2
> hda: driver not present
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
> I have no idea what causes the problem since I did not change the kernel
> configuration.
>
> The system configuration is as follows:
> Athlon XP 1600+
> Asus A7V266-E (VIA KT266A)
> 512MB RAM
> hda, hdc are IDE Harddisks
>
> Any suggestions welcome.

what type of IDE controller is in this machine?

Is there any other error message above the startup message you quoted?

cu
Adrian

--

You only think this is a free country. Like the US the UK spends a lot of
time explaining its a free country because its a police state.

2002-08-13 02:59:15

by Bill Davidsen

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Peter Klotz wrote:

> Up to 2.4.19-rc1 my system worked fine but 2.4.19 and 2.4.20-pre1 produce
> the following message at startup:
>
> Mounting root filesystem
> ide-floppy driver 0.99.newide
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k ide-cd, errno = 2
> hda: driver not present
> mount: error 6 mounting ext3
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

If you have multiple controllers one possible source is that the
controllers are being identified in the wrong order. This is an
enhancement in 2.4.19.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Peter Klotz

> > The system configuration is as follows:
> > Athlon XP 1600+
> > Asus A7V266-E (VIA KT266A)
> > 512MB RAM
> > hda, hdc are IDE Harddisks

> what type of IDE controller is in this machine?

The machine has 2 IDE controllers, the standard onboard controller of the
VIA chipset and an onboard Promise IDE Chip which can be switched to RAID0/1
mode. I use the Promise controller in standard IDE mode.
A DVD-ROM and a CD-Writer are connected to the Promise chip as hde and hdg.

> Is there any other error message above the startup message you quoted?

No, there are no other error messages prior to the extracted one.

Best regards, Peter.